Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recent dress faves or advice to hide not-so-flat tummy?

I need a dress for family photos this spring. I NEVER wear dresses and don't know anything about what to look for when buying one so I'm hoping for some help. Any general advice or specific dresses would be great.

For one thing, if the dress waist measurement is 30" then is that for women with a 30" waist or if you have a 30" waist then would you want the next size up? I definitely don't want anything fitting snugly like jeans do, but maybe they take that into account (?)

Are there specific waist styles that work best to hide a tummy? I know that I don't anything clingy or completely flat in front. Something lined would be good, right? To complicate things, I'm a definite pear shape so my top half is 1-2 sizes smaller than my bottom half. I have a small bust and shoulders, but I definitely have a saggy tummy and curvy hips. It would be nice to find something that can even this out some (nothing too billowy on bottom for sure).

I was considering trying a dress from Boden using the 50% code but need some pointers on specifically what to look for. I need something in a cool color and without a low neckline.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd go a-line as my top choice. Avoid empire waist stuff as it'll make you look pregnant. I avoid box pleats in the skirt bc it adds volume where I don't need it. I also love a good wrap dress. And, some sheaths work great. A bit of rouching on the side can look good on a sheath.

I wear at least 2 sizes, sometimes 3, smaller in dresses than jeans.

Try the Banana Republic Gemma wrap dress.

Eta- had you posted an hour ago, I'd have been on the Boden rec but I shut my computer down. There's a pretty a line embroidered dress with banded waist that looked pretty. The Olivia had potential too.

The Boden choices I'm considering are the notch neck shift and the Miranda ponte dress. They're very similar, but I'm not sure which will be more flattering on. I like the first one better, but it's awfully flat in front. I thought the second one might be better at tummy hiding.

I may see if I can try the BR dress locally. It looks like it may go down pretty far in the front though, and I'm going to be self conscious enough wearing a dress. I don't want to worry about my bra showing.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

You wear a tank top under. . I'll refresh my Boden memory in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    You wear a tank top under.
    Wouldn't a line show where the cami/tank ends? I thought it may be hidden in the front if there are gathers but not in the back. I guess I should just find one to try on. If only I could go shopping more often without two kids in tow.

I thought about the Leila ponte dress at boden too, but the blue isn't available in the long for my size so it would hit a few inches above my knee.

I really like this Columbia road in the light blue too, but I'm not sure how well that fabric would hide things. I guess if it ties high enough and then isn't too tight then it might work.
    Last edited by indigo99; 02-09-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

I found Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit brand on Zulily & have found some of their styles to hide my belly. I just did a google search - amazon has some -
    http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n:1045024,p_4:Rabbit+Rabbit
    not sure about return policy - I'm not a huge Amazon shopper. I'm not sure of b&m shops that carry the brand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hellbennt; 02-09-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

HipMama is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

You just have to buy a tank that is thin, like ones from the underwear department. BR has free ship over $50.

I have a pair of faux Spanx from Target like this and they can be nice under dresses: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/spanx-in...esults-_-1_8_C

Boden:
    check these out too-
    Flowershow dress
    Pretty Shift
    Seville
    their wrap dress
    With the v-neck and shape, the Portland Place one could be good.

The Miranda is nice. I can't decide about the pleats. They don't look bulky but I had looked at it for me and decided no. However, it's a good fabric that is very flattering and forgiving.
    The Leila is pretty. I'm sure it'd be a good wardrobe staple. Needs some accessorizing.
    The Miranda would probably look better than the Notch Neck one. That one is nice but I'm not sure about it. I do like a shift though.
    Columbia Road is nice too. For someone who doesn't wear dresses, you picked good ones.

I think any could be winners. I think I'd knock out the Columbia though. Not sure why. Probably bc I feel it has less re-wear since it's pretty distinct. The Miranda looks like it may be slightly empire when I look at it in the print catalog. Maybe someone else will have a better sense of it. The Pretty Embroidred Dress isn't online (yet?) but it's in my catalog and looks great. If you have a print catalog, look on p. 18.

Are you tall? If you aren't tall (5'9"), get the regular size. Tall will be bigger in the sleeves/ shoulders...too which just won't make cuts flattering. I think skirts and dresses look nice above the knee. The Leila is not a short dress at all, even on the model.

The Boden printed cotton skirt and a pretty fitted top could be nice if you prefer separates.

Quote Originally Posted by HipMama View Post
    Love the first one. I will be getting that for me! Vetoing the other one b/c of the empire waist. It has never worked well with a non flat belly, ime.

Other LE dress that caught my eye:
    http://www.landsend.com/products/wom...98?sku_0=::29F

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I think any could be winners. I think I'd knock out the Columbia though. Not sure why. Probably bc I feel it has less re-wear since it's pretty distinct. The Miranda looks like it may be slightly empire when I look at it in the print catalog.

Are you tall? If you aren't tall (5'9"), get the regular size. Tall will be bigger in the sleeves/ shoulders...too which just won't make cuts flattering. I think skirts and dresses look nice above the knee. The Leila is not a short dress at all, even on the model.
    Maybe something distinct is good though since I'm buying it for family photos. I don't really need to be able to wear it a lot and would rather it not look like a basic Sunday dress. The measurements online made it seem like the long is only longer and not really bigger. Is that wrong? I'm about 5'8", and most of these say they should hit right above the knee. Based on the measurements, some of the regulars would hit about 4" above my knee though.

I'm gonna check out some of the other recs. I really think I'd rather avoid anything with a deep v in the front because I don't want to worry about having to coordinate something under it. I also think that lined is a good idea to help hide any lines or bulges, but the LE dresses don't mention lining. The good thing about LE is that I can return in store though so I don't lose much trying them.
    Last edited by indigo99; 02-09-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast