Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Yay, glad you gave it a try and it worked for you!

I've had one for many years but have only used it a handful of times as I just couldn't get it to work for me. In the past I've had really heavy periods and it would overflow by the 2 hour mark. So cloth pads have worked best for me. But the last few cycles I've been drinking peppermint tea and my cycles have been less heavy and 2 days shorter so maybe I should give it a try again.
    hm, so questions

cloth pads - where do you get? these are things you then wash and reuse?

peppermint tea - you drink when your period starts? how many cups a day?

thanks!
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, the cloth pads are washed and then reused. I've been using them since DS1 was one, so over 9 yrs now!

I like the Talulah Bean "minky" ones since they are so soft and don't stain. I wear their Minky Bean BabyMoon for overnights as it has great coverage and their other pads for medium and lighter days.
    http://www.talulahbean.com/All-Pads_c_7.html

Homestead Emorium has great pads as well and I thought that's what I was using for my heaviest flow during the day, but now that I look it's not what I have! But I know a lot of BBB moms use them.
    http://www.homesteademporium.com/products/pads.php

The peppermint tea I drink daily for my entire cycle, not just during my period. I drink 1-2 cups daily and steep it for at least 10 minutes. This is the brand I buy (it's marketed for those with IBS).
    http://www.amazon.com/Heathers-Tummy.../dp/B000AEWGBM
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

thanks!
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

If you're still nursing, you may not want to drink peppermint tea. I really like it (especially iced), but I had to work to get my supply up, so I avoid it.

Cloth pads are great! Easy. Really. I haven't bought any in years, so I'm not sure who/where to recommend now.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another cloth pad option for you: Pink Lemonade Shop on Etsy

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I got great deals on pads years ago with rachel's legal pads and they are still going strong but not sure if she closed up shop. She was a sweet highschooler then raising money to eventually go to law school. I also really really like PartyInMyPants (that's right...PIMP!).... So you need to check out their free pad offer, just pay shipping. Http://www.partypantspads.com
    I dislike luna pads.

ETA: my sis just called me tonight from Harris Teeter where she found divas on clearance for $13! She bought all but there were only 3! Might want to check if you have one nearby (I don't).

Party in My Pants are my favorite too. Earth Day in April is a great time to buy/try. Usually lots of sales from different companies. Party in my Pants are thin, and super absorbent. I was a leery to switch to the Diva Cup & cloth pads but I'm so glad I did. My periods are super heavy, and this saves money, and is a lot better protection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD1- 5/2008
    DD2- 3/2012
    Expecting a Boy July 2014!

FWIW to others thinking about the diva, it would not work for me. My cervix moves down and forward during my period so I can't just put the cup straight in. I insert it and then turn it so that the opening is over my cervix (basically pointing toward my stomach). I have to completely cut off the tail end if it has little balls or a grip because it's pressing on my vagina wall. The diva was so large and rigid that I couldn't even get it in the right position. I now have the meluna brand that's smaller and softer, and it still presses on my tailbone in a way that makes it almost feel a little like I need to have a bowel movement. There are times when I use it anyway like when I'm spotting and worried that I may start bleeding more but don't want to wear pads all day just in case. I also have the large sibell which is really soft and flexible compared to even the meluna. I'll use it if I have really heavy flow, but I wish that I had the smaller sized one. I have a feeling it may be the right cup for me, but I hate importing one just to find out. My point is just that cups don't work equally well for everyone, but there are a lot of different ones so if you like the idea but don't find the right cup then you may want to try another.

I do love my PIMP panty liners though.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

I have used mine for so long that I can no longer insert a tampon correctly. I guess it has to do with the angle that I'm used to going in at. I used it for a while before DD3 was born, but I really had a hard time with it after she was born. I could never get it in right, and it always seemed very uncomfortable. One day I read a thread on the BBB about it and noticed that many, many people cut the tip completely off with cuticle scissors. I did that immediately and fell in love with it again. Today it came in particularly handy because I knew that today was THE day, but DD had surgery this morning. I put it in this morning and didn't have to worry about it at all until I got home this evening. If ever there was a day to not have to worry about anything going on in my nether regions, it was today.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    FWIW to others thinking about the diva, it would not work for me. My cervix moves down and forward during my period so I can't just put the cup straight in. I insert it and then turn it so that the opening is over my cervix (basically pointing toward my stomach). I have to completely cut off the tail end if it has little balls or a grip because it's pressing on my vagina wall. The diva was so large and rigid that I couldn't even get it in the right position. I now have the meluna brand that's smaller and softer, and it still presses on my tailbone in a way that makes it almost feel a little like I need to have a bowel movement. There are times when I use it anyway like when I'm spotting and worried that I may start bleeding more but don't want to wear pads all day just in case. I also have the large sibell which is really soft and flexible compared to even the meluna. I'll use it if I have really heavy flow, but I wish that I had the smaller sized one. I have a feeling it may be the right cup for me, but I hate importing one just to find out. My point is just that cups don't work equally well for everyone, but there are a lot of different ones so if you like the idea but don't find the right cup then you may want to try another.

I do love my PIMP panty liners though.
    I used a Diva without issue for years, but suddenly could not use it after my VBAC. It just did not work, even inside-out. I switched to a small Lunette (meant for pre-childbirth) and it works great, though I do get a tiny bit of leaking. I still love it, though! I ordered the larger size when it was on mamabargains a few weeks ago.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3