Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default diva cup question - UPDATE 19

so, AF is due Wed-ish, give or take a day or two. I am hoping to be a new user of the Diva cup, but I'm very nervous. it seems...difficult to use? is there a huge learning curve? is it uncomfortable? i was considering practicing before AF arrives, but it said not to insert if not during menstruation.

I fully realize this sounds ridiculously silly, but I need some info

Thanks!
    Last edited by lmh2402; 02-18-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have been using one for about 2 years now. I would say that there is a learning curve, and it takes a little time to figure out the best way to fold it for insertion. For me it is not uncomfortable at all....can't even feel it. Some people mention cutting down the little tip at the end, but I haven't found that necessary. When I first started using it, I would wear it at night and still use tampons during the day. When I got more comfortable, I started wearing it out and about. Good luck! I think it's an awesome product!
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

I heard about it here, but I haven't bought it because I'm scared of it a little. If you feel comfortable, OP, I'd live to hear your experience with it. Maybe I'll take the plunge.

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

thanks, LMPC - i think using only at night first sounds smart. leaking all over the place (sorry if TMI) while out and about is a huge fear for me.

123, I'll definitely report back. if i work up the nerve to try it this cycle!
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Thanks!

I love mine. It took me about three months to fully love it. The first month worked great, the second month I had a hard time getting it in right and by the third month onward, it's been a piece of cake.

I often put mine in the morning af is due. No more surprises!
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Consider me interested too, I am so heavy though I also worry about leaking while out and about.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Love it, but I agree there is a learning curve. Don't throw out the tampons yet! (but I have been using mine for about 6 years and only used maybe three tampons since I got it.) I freaked out the first time because I really felt like I couldn't find it, but once I realized the angle needed to remove it, it's not hard to get used to. Sometimes I have discomfort, but I think it is my weird anatomy (this has been confirmed by multiple medical professionals). I didn't have to trim the stem either. I wouldn't try a dry run, that sounds super uncomfortable.

ETA trying to be more helpful: it shouldn't be uncomfortable if inserted properly. It shouldn't leak if inserted properly, but I still sometimes have leak issues. I am super heavy though and used to have lots of leaking with tampons. I always wear backup pads (all cloth, by the way). I use the seven fold, I think. Like...the circle smooshed in half, then in half again. Twist and wiggle after insertion to make sure it's open.
    Last edited by Melaine; 02-09-2014 at 10:43 PM.

I've been using it for about 6 years now. There was a learning curve, but I got it figured out during the first cycle. My biggest struggle was trying to figure out how to get it out, but once you get it, it is so easy. I haven't used anything else in 6 years. I sometimes wear a liner on heavier days, just in case.
    If you can be mostly around your house the first few days, you might have more confidence starting out.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

There is definitely a learning curve. I must be a slow learner, because it took me a good 6 months to really figure it out, but once I did, I never looked back. For me, the hardest part was trying to tell if it was truly popped open or not. I used to *think* it was open, but apparently not, because it would then leak like crazy. Someone here told me to run my finger around the rim, which helped. For me, I also have to make sure it is really spinning around - if there is any resistance at all, that's when I know it's not fully open.

In fact, I'm wearing mine right now and can not feel a thing! SO much more comfortable than pads!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast