Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pee accident

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Pee accident

DS had a pee accident last night in bed. We changed him in the middle of the night and moved him to our bed. This is the first time after being fully potty trained and he is 5. So, I was not expecting this and reasons aside, how do I deal with a peed on mattress?! It's nit very sunny here where I live and I don't know how else to sanitize it and have it ready fir tonight. Suggestions please!

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

douse it with Nature's miracle to remove the smell. I would also purchase a waterproof mattress pad. All kids are bound to have an accident every now and then especially when they are tired.

Here are some ideas. I was thinking baking soda might work similar to the borax....

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Urine-...-from-Mattress
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Quote Originally Posted by lil_acorn View Post
    douse it with Nature's miracle to remove the smell. I would also purchase a waterproof mattress pad. All kids are bound to have an accident every now and then especially when they are tired.
    Nature's Miracle can be found in pet stores. I think a gallon should be sent home with new parents! It's great for any accidents, pee or vomit. The enzymes eat the waste.

Spray it down really well (not drippy saturate, but get it in there), throw on an old beach towel, waterproof pad (old crib pad is fine), then the sheet. I would let it air out as much as possible and not make it until right before bed, then uncover tomorrow morning.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yup, blot up what you can and then douse in nature's miracle. I'd actually pour a puddle where the pee is (get the gallon jug at the pet store), and I'd pour at least the same amount as the pee so that it can soak in approximately as deep as the pee soaked in. Let it sit a few hrs and then put it out to dry. And yes to waterproof mattress pads! If not completely dry tonight, just cover and he can sleep on it, then next morning uncover it and let it finish drying.

We keep waterproof pads on all beds...it's just such a pain to try to clean the mattress and everyone has body fluid accidents, including me (mine related to that time of the month!)
    Last edited by twowhat?; 02-11-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    We keep waterproof pads on all beds...it's just such a pain to try to clean the mattress

Between the occasional peeing and puking, it is safest to just wrap all the mattresses we find.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks, all. I had some miracle solution on hand from the puking episodes sometime ago, so, was able to use it without a run to the store. Btw, I have always had to order it from amazon - didn't think the one from pet stores was the same.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post

Between the occasional peeing and puking, it is safest to just wrap all the mattresses we find.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have waterproof mattress on all of our beds too including mine.

On DD bed we double hers so waterproof pad, sheet, waterproof pad, sheet. That way if she has an accident we can take off the top layers of waterproof pad and sheet pretty quickly and she can go right back to sleep since it still has another waterproof pad and sheet on her bed

That was helpful too when she was sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This has happened to me before when the waterproof mattress pad was off for a day being washed!

What I do is completely saturate the area with full strength vinegar, then I soak it up by laying towels on it and walking all over the mattress with my feet, then I dump a bunch of baking soda on it to cover the entire area. I let it dry completely for 2 days then vacuum up the now dry baking soda. Works every time and there's never been any smell or stains afterwards.

I also tend to double layer everything as well-- waterproof mattress pad, sheet set, waterproof mattress pad, 2nd sheet set.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast