Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    IME NJ districts are very hit or miss when it comes to G&T. My district, for example has NO G&T program. We also have 1/2 day K, and I would say there's essentially no math instruction.

Rutgers offers G&T testing services: http://umg.umdnj.edu/public/clinical...m=instdev/tgcc

For enrichment, you might want to look into the Montclair University program: http://www.montclair.edu/provost/new...rticleID=11679

or this program in Glen Rock: http://giftedchildsociety.com/

There's lots of info on the Hoagies page. I find the forums helpful, too. http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/

If you want to look into online courses, check out the JHU CTY program: http://cty.jhu.edu/
    They have self-paced mathematics courses that could be enough to supplement what your son is learning in school.

Another fun enrichment option is learning programming. Scratch is fun and pretty easy for kids to use: http://scratch.mit.edu/
    My brother and friends did the enrichment program at Montclair State during elementary. They did it in the later grades. Fwiw, those kids ended up going to Princeton, MIT and Pomona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lmh2402 View Post
    yes, NJ. I don't know. I'm so confused. I was just reading through this massive document I found on the district website that details the math curriculum for K. in my quick scan, it seems like a lot of comparing quantities, continuing to work on counting, shape work, etc, etc.

perhaps the teacher told me they don't teach math because I was meaning more like addition, subtraction, multiplication, division... is this kind of work usually started in K? so confused...
    That sounds right. Multiplication is started very basically in 2nd grade and more thoroughly (times tables) in 3rd. Division is also started in 2nd, but things like long division are 3rd to 4th.

DS2 is in kindergarten and he can add and subtract and understands that since 5+5=10 and 10+10=20 that 5+5+5+5 must also equal 20. But, that's what he does at home. At school, he's practicing counting to 100, skip counting by 2s, 5s and 10s, learning more shapes, etc. He did know quite a bit going in, but didn't know skip counting, for example.
    Kris

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you, guys. So this is where and why I am confused. I think he's learning things he still needs to learn (shape stuff, etc). But he's also doing a lot of math at home for fun. And I am afraid to try and teach concepts, and do so in a way that confuses him. I feel like there is really very little clarity about resources in my district. I'm honestly not sure if we have any G & T program other than that once a week pull out. Our town is small and we get virtually zero state dollars, so I know many programs have been cut. We are very nearby to Montclair state. I tried contacting the g&t program there, but got no response.

So, I appreciate any help you guys can give... If you were me, would you look into some sorry of testing? If so, what kind...where would you look? I'm not interested in pushing him, but I am interested in keeping him engaged. This morning he was playing math at the table during breakfast: he likes to be quizzed..what's 17-5, what's 12+9, what's 16-10, etc. I realize this isn't rocket science, but I'm not sure it's totally typical either. I just don't want to leave him bored

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My first is super gifted in math. Unfortunately, math alone hasn't been enough to get him into gifted. But, he's always been given enrichment. Now in grade 6 he's in the advance track and that's been awesome. Honestly, in k I wouldn't be pushing for more. I think I'd reinforce what they are doing. Ds2's been testing a year or more ahead in math too but I feel like it's not a bad thing to get a really firm foundation now before moving into bigger stuff. I'll be a squeaky wheel in a few years. But, again, my school doesn't test til 2nd grade. I appreciate that there's no rush.

Sent you a PM.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I realize this isn't rocket science, but I'm not sure it's totally typical either. I just don't want to leave him bored
    He's in preK right? 4, almost 5? He is VERY advanced for his age. He is not only able to do 2 digit math facts, addition and subtraction, but is able to do it in his head. That is second grade math. With formal instruction (which I am not suggesting ) he could probably do a lot more. He is also a fluent reader, yes?

Your district quite possibly may not have any sort of math enrichment or math ability grouping in K-2. Most districts do not start formal "gifted" programs until around grade 3.

So yes, it may be challenging to keep him engaged in school. My older DD was not nearly as advanced as your DS, and she was bored out of her skull in most grades K-2 because she could read and do math. The good news is that in upper grades, the work gets to be more engaging because they are learning concepts and not mastering mechanics.

So I would try to get some type of documentation of his level of work in math and reading. Does he have an IEP in place for any type of service? If so, I would approach the school through that IEP group or perhaps talk to the counselor. If you already have an IEP in place, this is easier. Say you want to discuss how to make school successful based on his needs, etc. As part of that meeting you can then discuss (with the documentation) concerns that while he loves the school and is learning a lot socially, how will the school keep him enagaged.

My older DD has really enjoyed the JHU CTY program, but I really feel like most of their offerings are more beneficial to kids in grades 4 and up.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My district has no testing before the end of 2nd grade for additional enrichment. They do it at that age because most kids even out by 2nd or 3rd grade. I personally would wait till then since there is no rush IMO. If you think he truly will be bored out of his mind at kindy (which socially is enough of an adjustment), I would look at private schools that can offer differentiation in each grade or do two kindergarten classes. That is what we are doing for DS2 so that he is not just doing half day kindy.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    My district has no testing before the end of 2nd grade for additional enrichment. They do it at that age because most kids even out by 2nd or 3rd grade. I personally would wait till then since there is no rush IMO. If you think he truly will be bored out of his mind at kindy (which socially is enough of an adjustment), I would look at private schools that can offer differentiation in each grade or do two kindergarten classes. That is what we are doing for DS2 so that he is not just doing half day kindy.
    I agree with this. If he seems happy and engaged in the class, and isn't bored, I don't see a reason to make a change. If he wants to do more at home, I would get some math related games, aps, and workbooks for him to do for fun. If you explain a concept and it confuses him, he probably isn't ready for it yet.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm in New York and older DD started public K last september. They're doing additions and subtractions for sure. In my district G & T testing start in Kindergarten. In her school there's 2 separate g&t kinder classes.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I understand what you are going through. Kids with hyperlexia follow a different developmental path and that makes it more challenging for us as parents to figure out what is going on.

No one can say at this point if your son is gifted. I can tell you that what you are seeing now is very common in kids with hyperlexia. Some kids with hyperlexia are gifted - they are ahead of their peers at an early age and remain ahead of their peers throughout their school careers. Other kids with hyperlexia show advanced abilities at an early age, but their peers start to catch up or surpass them around the 3rd grade. These kids are really good at learning concrete facts, like math facts, but struggle when the academic material gets more abstract.

My DS (who also has hyperlexia) falls into this 2nd group. We were amazed by the math he was doing in preschool and kindy - both arithmetic and geometry. But he had difficulty with timed math tests starting in second grade (due to processing speed deficits and fine motor delays). He has a hard time with word problems. He can read charts and graphs, but can't explain what they mean and how to interpret the data.

DS still has some areas where he excels above his peers. His gift for spelling is amazing and we recently discovered that he has a talent for foreign languages.

I would suggest taking it slow and see how your DS continues to develop. If you and he want to do math enrichment, I suggest you do things like logic games, measurements, word problems, telling time, making change, etc. and not focus so much on arithmetic.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast