Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Maybe contact your school's math curriculum coordinator and ask what programs they use in the classroom? My DS1's school uses Symphony Math and he loved it. He also finished the program on his own before starting 2nd grade - I don't think he *completely* learned all of the materials, I realized that he was memorizing the answers sometimes, then logging out and logging back in to re-do the questions. But, he still got through the program and then finished it again a couple of months later.

His teacher asked the math coordinator for some other programs and she suggested Prodigy. DS1 loves that one too. It's setup more like a game (your avatar battles other kids' avatars, or computer-gerented characters) and you can get a free online account.

So, maybe if your school uses one of these programs or something similar, you can get it on your home computer for DS to play on his own.

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have no experience with this, but Gena's advice sounds spot on.

Will your DS go to half or full day kindy? In my district, the difference in math instruction between the two is astounding - like 25 minutes/week compared to 125 minutes/week. If your DS does a half day without much math, maybe you can find a high school math whiz to play games and do problems with him, or go to one of those tutoring centers to give him more time doing something he enjoys?
    DS age 9

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

thanks, guys. and gena, as always, thank you thank you.

what you said makes total sense. we'll see how the cookie crumbles with DS b/c he is shockingly good with auditory learning for some reason. and with logic and sequence and pattern type games. but i'm not sure how he'll do with comprehension for word problems, once they start.

he will be in full day kindy - no other option here. so i guess we'll see how it goes. i'm going to continue to explore getting info on the MSU program near to us.

thanks again
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3