Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Updated! It's my thyroid, isn't it? ;)

Update: So I finally went to the doctor last week (it took me awhile because I had to find a new dr) and guess what...my T4 is low again. I have never been so excited in my life to be told my blood test did not come back normal! So I"ll start meds tomorrow. Hopefully it will help because I feel like crap. I find it weird that my TSH is never off, but now that I have a diagnosis again I can go see my sisters' endo who is fantastic. I had to ask her to run all of the thyroid tests, but she did say she would treat for symptoms not just test results so I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't asked for the T4 test.

Yesterday I was changing the sheets on our bed and noticed that my pillow was covered in hair. I shed a lot, but I have never seen anything like this. I showed DH and he jokingly said "I bet it's your thyroid right?" because I always kid about it when I'm tired or something. It got me thinking though. The last few weeks, I've been falling asleep as soon as DH and I sit down to watch TV at night. I literally am out in minutes. Today I did it at 1, after I got the kids down for naps and quiet time. I literally was out within 5 minutes. And I never ever nap. I have been freezing cold to the point of wearing a Northface Jacket on top of two shirts and slipper and a couple pair of socks. My finger nails have all broken off (which never ever happens, they are usually strong) and my skin is abnormally dry. TMI, I'm constipated too. I really think it is my thyroid!

I was on meds about 3 years ago because my T4 was off, but my doctor left and the one I went to for a renewal wouldn't give me a new prescription and said I never had low thyroid. Not to mention every woman in my family has low thyroid. I feel like it cycles through and by the time I go in my blood work says it's normal. I've had this happen before, but now I feel like I did right before I got the diagnosis the first time and they put me on meds. DH did mention tonight that I am sleeping way more than normal. I need to go get it checked don't I?
    Last edited by MSWR0319; 04-02-2014 at 08:08 PM.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, be sure to get TSH, free T4, free T3 and anti-TPO antibodies checked to start.

Does anyone know if a lower back ache is also a sign of thyroid issues? I've had this lower back ache/stiffness for about 6 weeks, which I attributed to a tubing accident I had when we were in Aruba years ago. But it's been going on about the same length as the other symptoms, so maybe it's related?

I've never heard of lower back being related to thyroid, but coldness, hair loss, and thinning eyebrows were the symptoms that sent my SIL to the doctor and they found her thyroid numbers off. I would make an appointment now since you are experiencing symptoms now. Have you noticed how the cycle works? Wondering if it tends to be around winter months.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hashimotos cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    I've never heard of lower back being related to thyroid, but coldness, hair loss, and thinning eyebrows were the symptoms that sent my SIL to the doctor and they found her thyroid numbers off. I would make an appointment now since you are experiencing symptoms now. Have you noticed how the cycle works? Wondering if it tends to be around winter months.
    Oh my gosh, the outer part of my eyebrows are thinning. I need to make an appt. on Monday. Let's hope I can get into a dr. before I start feeling better. I don't have a primary dr because my old one left and the rest that were taking patients are nutty. A new one just came that I've heard is good, so I need to get established as a patient. I'm afraid that's going to take a few weeks. I really think the back pain is a separate issue. It radiates into my hip too which is where I think the problem really lies on that injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Hashimotos cycles.
    Good to know. I thought I had read that before. My mom and sister both have Hashimotos. I've been told it's just a matter of time for me, but every time I feel low they don't seem to catch it.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yeah, the antibody check should help dx.

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Muscle pain can absolutely be a sign of thyroid issues. It affects everything and it sucks. I sent myself hypo by messing with my meds and not getting bloodwork and I can't peel myself off the couch.
    DD 9/10
    DS 8/12

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hashi's has a strong correlation to gluten intolerance and celiac. May want to rule that out too.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yeah, the antibody check should help dx.
    It's a blood test. It's not always checked for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast