Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by speo View Post
    If you get to this point, I went on birth control because of the length and heaviness of my periods. I take the pill continuously so that I don't have any periods. It has been wonderful. My last period was 18 days long and 5 of them were really heavy (like what you are describing) and another 3 that were heavy. That one did me in. I had always had very heavy periods and they just got worse and worse over the years.
    What pill do you take? I tried some of the continuous ones and always had breakthrough bleeding.

I also have heavy periods when I'm not on the pill, but they're so much shorter and lighter when I am on a pill (if only I could find the right pill).

I also had a D&C after a miscarriage. It wasn't much of an ordeal at all so I barely remember anything. I think I just rested that day and was back to normal the next.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

the d&c is not physically painful.
    Wow. Not my experience. It wasn't so bad I couldn't get around, but I definitely was in pain, needed pain meds, and had to rest for the day.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    What pill do you take? I tried some of the continuous ones and always had breakthrough bleeding.
    I take Microgestin. It was the generic form of Loestrin, which is now discontinued I think. I haven't had any problems with break through bleeding.
    DS1 2005 and DS2 2007

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I went on the pill for the same reason. 7 days of bleeding day 2-5 were nasty and when they started coming 18-21 days apart my NP put me on Orsythia I'm 46 and I really dont want to do anything procedure wise. I was assured I can stay on them until menopause which other that the slight increase in frequency of my periods I have no other signs of. I LOVE my pills no cramps 5 days of normal/light periods. Start on a tuesday end on a saturday.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I saw this thread and had to respond. For the last couple of years I've had really heavy menstrual bleeding (which sounds similar to yours, if not more). After about a year of that I complained here of how exhausted I was all the time. It turns out that all that heavy bleeding really depleted my stored iron supply and I was becoming anemic. It was clear I needed to do something about those heavy periods. I saw a great doc who suggested an 8 step plan to deal with this with step one being the least invasive. He said if that didn't work we try step 2. The first step was simply taking 3, 200mg ibuprofen (like advil or motrin) 4 times each day. The doc suggested starting taking the ibuprofen a couple day before I expect my period and then continuing throughout the heaviest days. The ibuprofen will reduce the bleeding. It totally worked. I notice a big difference in the amount of blood when it's time to take my next 3 advil. Step 2 on the plan was birth control pills to reduce the bleeding. If I remember correctly, ablation was like step 6 or 7 with a hysterectomy as the last step. He never suggested a d&c.

ftr, I've had a d&c before and I surprised that it was done under general anesthesia. It took several days to recover from. It was not pleasant. I think you should try the advil approach first and then consider birth control. hth

ETA: I just found my old thread with the full plan my doctor suggested. My doctor's recommendations are in post #14 http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...=bleeding+iron IIWY, I'd take this info back to my doctor and ask if this sounds like a good plan for you too.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 02-23-2014 at 01:59 AM. Reason: doctor's recommendations
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2