Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: San Diego?

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks everyone. yeah, i think Legoland for sure is out, not just bc of the age but bc after DL i think we will want something other than another theme park. and yes, pricey. plus, we live near a Legoland Discovery Center, and have been twice and while it was nice, it was $$$ for what it was (IMO) and plus that seemed enough for my DC at that age. SD Zoo/Safari Park is pricey but since i imagine it is really unique and there's probably nothing like that here i'd love to check it out.

so many decisions! i think we want to do the Safari Park for sure, but i'd have to find out more.

The Safari Park is definitely unique, but it's a LOT of walking. It's very spread out, and the tram is at the far end of the park. It takes you out to the area where you can see the animals roaming around and wouldn't be able to access unless you did one of those specialized tours. The zoo at least has the express bus you can hop on and off at various spots- I don't have a lot of experience with other zoos but it's pretty cool. They just opened the koala exhibit recently, and the elephant exhibit is pretty fantastic. The pandas are worth a visit if the line isn't too long. I definitely wouldn't do both in one day, the safari park is in Escondido about 40 minutes from the zoo.

The USS Midway is great and they have audio tours you can use- the kids get one too! It's a lot of walking and some areas you do have to go up ladders with somewhat narrow passages so it might not be entirely accessible for your mom, but she can probably get to enough areas to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    thanks everyone. yeah, i think Legoland for sure is out, not just bc of the age but bc after DL i think we will want something other than another theme park. and yes, pricey. plus, we live near a Legoland Discovery Center, and have been twice and while it was nice, it was $$$ for what it was (IMO) and plus that seemed enough for my DC at that age. SD Zoo/Safari Park is pricey but since i imagine it is really unique and there's probably nothing like that here i'd love to check it out.

so many decisions! i think we want to do the Safari Park for sure, but i'd have to find out more.
    Oh, I forgot to mention we only paid $25 a ticket for Legoland . Yeah, that kinda changes everything doesn't it? I dont remember the details, but there was some kind of promotion.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We go to San Diego a lot. Stay on Coronado. We love the beach in front of the Hotel Del! It's not hard to get over the bridge to everything else. Save Legoland for another trip. It's too far outside of San Diego, but it is between LA and San Diego. We always get stuck in traffic between Legoland and San Diego.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We love San Diego. We have been to the USS Midway. It was pretty cool, they have audio tours. I do remember that it is a lot of walking and some areas you do have to go up ladders with narrow passages. It might not be the best choice for your mom. My boys were into it for a while and then eventually just got bored and were pestering each other. We went up on the flight deck and got to see the planes and the helicopter which they enjoyed and then they were done and wanted to leave.

I haven't been to the SD Zoo since DS1 was 2 but I do remember it having some seriously steep hills! I would love to go to the Safari park... my boys want to try the zip line there!

I stumbled upon this site years ago and it has some great info. www.localwally.com

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We love San Diego. We have been to the USS Midway. It was pretty cool, they have audio tours. I do remember that it is a lot of walking and some areas you do have to go up ladders with narrow passages. It might not be the best choice for your mom. My boys were into it for a while and then eventually just got bored and were pestering each other. We went up on the flight deck and got to see the planes and the helicopter which they enjoyed and then they were done and wanted to leave.

I haven't been to the SD Zoo since DS1 was 2 but I do remember it having some seriously steep hills! I would love to go to the Safari park... my boys want to try the zip line there!

I stumbled upon this site years ago and it has some great info. www.localwally.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2