jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default If you don't have a linen closet...

How do you organize blankets, sheets, towels, etc.? Right now I have an old dresser in the laundry room storing rarely used stuff and constantly tipping stacks of sheets in the closet of each bedroom and random blankets shoved under the beds. I feel like I could use a better system.
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

I keep them in the room they are used. Sheets are in a drawer in the nightstand, towels in the bathroom, etc. I have a quilt rack or under bed container for extra blankets. I have a linen closet now, but did not in the past so I stuck to what I did and the linen closet is mostly empty/storage. Do you have too many sets maybe? I have 2 sets of sheet for most beds (3 for ours) so one is always on the bed and the extra set in a drawer. when I was cleaning out our old house to prepare to sell it a few years ago, I realized I had way too many blankets and donated the excess.

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I keep in the closet of the room in which they are used, or if there is room in the closet in the bathroom adjacent to that room, in there.
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

We do have a linen closet, but it has batteries, first aid stuff, and extra shampoo, soap, etc in it. It's not very big.

We keep extra sheets folded and on the shelf in the closet of the room they go in. Except DD's are in my closet because her shelf in the closet is too small. Blankets are also on the shelf. Towels go in the bathroom where they are used. In the kid's bathroom, they are in the vanity, under the sink. In the master bath, we have room for a small shelving unit.
    Kris

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

About tipping stacks of sheets...this Martha Stewart tip changed my life. She folds each sheet (there's a way to get the fitted one nice and neat), stacks them up except for one pillowcase, and puts it all in the other pillowcase. Fold the extra under, and it's a perfect little package of sheets with no loose ends and it stacks nicely
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I use the multi purpose bins from Container Store (currently on sale) -- you could put one in each room for the bed sheets there. For blankets we have about 4 of them (extra ones) and they fit in our ottoman.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a small linen closet and a ton of towels. Therefore, sheets are kept in a bed box at the foot of my bed.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Quote Originally Posted by barkley1 View Post
    About tipping stacks of sheets...this Martha Stewart tip changed my life. She folds each sheet (there's a way to get the fitted one nice and neat), stacks them up except for one pillowcase, and puts it all in the other pillowcase. Fold the extra under, and it's a perfect little package of sheets with no loose ends and it stacks nicely
    And it doesn't show the wadded up fitted sheet! We are losing half the linen closet to a bathroom remodel. I'm purging extra sheets. One extra set per bed is plenty. I usually wash the set that's on there and put them right back on anyway. The extra set is going in the top of the closet in that room in a clear zippered storage thing from Container Store. Pool/beach towels are going to my mud room. Dog towels are going to the laundry room. I have all white towels all the same for the other bathrooms, so they will stay in what's left of the linen closet. I only have a couple of extra bathroom towels because we have plenty of beach towels to use in an emergency. Extra down comforters are in Space Bags. They will fit in the closet, but they'd also go under the beds.

Shelves in your laundry room might be more useful than a dresser. What about a small Metro shelving unit in that space? You could put the sheet sets in closed, clear containers (again, Container Store!). I'm thinking closed storage because our laundry room is dusty and linty. We have a Metro unit that stores extra paper towels, light bulbs, all that utility stuff (in Multipurpose Bins), cat food, etc. It's so handy and sturdy.

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks all. Gonna try some of these ideas.
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys