liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Best treatment for cold sore?

DS gets them once in a great while. I have bought some OTC stuff in the past, but not sure what works best-plus those tiny tubes are really $$! I don't mind spending the money if a particular brand seems to work though. Any help appreciated!

jench is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Poor DS! Expensive as it is, I really do feel like Abreva works! I still usually get the cold sore, but it is much smaller and less irritating than unmedicated.

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My BF gets them and Abreva is well worth the money.
    DD 9/10
    DS 8/12

I have gotten them for years and abreva is heads above anything else I have tried, but it works best when you apply at the first tingling you feel before you see one developing. Depending on age, a child will probably not recognize the sign that one is coming. I know DH has a prescription for the next time he gets one.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have been getting them forever, and I don't find Abreva helpful at all. Zilactin gel at the first sign is the best thing that works for me, but it smells horrible and is probably torture for a kid. I used to have a script for Zovirax and that was the best, but I hate having to keep getting a preventative script and I just don't get them as much anymore, thank goodness. And that wouldn't be good for a kid I don't think. I am sorry your son gets them!

Lately I have been taking an oral dose of Lysine when I start to get that first tingle, and that works as well as anything OTC.

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the replies. I stopped after work to get the Abreva. DS is 10, so I can trust him to apply it as needed when at school etc.
    Squimp, can you tell me more sbout Lysine?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Have you tried Coconut Oli? That stuff works great for a natural remedy. Way better (and cheaper) than Abreva.

lele is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Compeed--but you have to import it, unfortunately.
    http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Compee...ywords=compeed
    Lele, mom to 3

I think lysine used to help me - orally and I'd also crush it up and make a paste with it & slather it on at night -
    now I have a rx for valrex that I take at the first tingle....
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)