Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    I have a work trip and I plan to spend 2 days in Raleigh and then a weekend and week in DC.
    Is the drive kind of like San Diego to LA? If so I think I might just drive. I would just work it out with the car rental place to pick it up at RDU and then turn it in at the DC airport. Or will I want to just fly?
    It's more like LA to San Jose. I would fly. I'd rather fly than drive 95 by myself, and I agree, one accident and your 4 hour trip can easily be a 6 hour trip. And there's always traffic by Six Flags, even when it's not open...so bizarre. I would return the car in NC, fly to DC, take a cab to the hotel, and rent the car at the hotel if they offer that service.
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 03-03-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: clarification
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Well, I would drive. You're going to want a car anyway, yes? By the time you return the car, fly, and pick up another rental, I don't think you would save any time by flying.

Just be strategic about when you leave and arrive. But driving north is easier, because you can leave Raleigh late morning and that will be against the commute traffic direction on 95 in the afternoon.
    Driving north after the morning rush is over is fine during the weekdays. But you don't want to try and drive South after 3pm. That's when you can watch the minutes tick by and going no where. If you need to go South on a weekday and can't go in the morning, it's best to wait until after 7pm. North on a Sunday is busy but still a good clip (barring accidents and weather).

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

have you considered the train? dbf takes the train from rocky mount to dc & back every week. takes the same amount of time as driving, 4-5 hours (unless there's something weird, but you can also get weird traffic, too), and you can read or what have you. not a lot of money either, if you can book ahead. so put that in your mix to think about.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by karstmama View Post
    have you considered the train? dbf takes the train from rocky mount to dc & back every week. takes the same amount of time as driving, 4-5 hours (unless there's something weird, but you can also get weird traffic, too), and you can read or what have you. not a lot of money either, if you can book ahead. so put that in your mix to think about.
    I did think about the train but 6 hours seemed too long to me, especially as I was hoping to head out of town on Friday evening, or if I did leave Saturday morning, I didn't want to waste the whole day on the train when I could be doing stuff in DC.

So I was leaning drive but when it was compared to LA to San Jose, I am thinking fly.
    DD
    DS

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The planes aren't huge, but they are jets so that wouldn't bother me. I've flown to and from DC to Raleigh for work many times and I've never been on a prop plane for that route (which is not the case for some other places I've flown to for work). Really, I wouldn't even consider driving over flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

I would drive and did many times!

Ann

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    The planes aren't huge, but they are jets so that wouldn't bother me. I've flown to and from DC to Raleigh for work many times and I've never been on a prop plane for that route (which is not the case for some other places I've flown to for work). Really, I wouldn't even consider driving over flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup, I've flown that route too and always on a jet. The flight time is so short v. driving and the metro ride from National to the city is very short.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I guess I consider it the same as driving to Virginia Beach. I wouldn't consider flying there. And we drive 3+ hours to the Philly burbs all the time to visit family. But I don't mind driving.

But if you don't want a rental car while in the DC area, then it may be better to fly. But I lived in California long enough to feel naked without a car.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It looks like it comes down to whether you are a car person or an airplane person. For me, if in doubt I always drive. I like putting my suitcase in the car ONE TIME and I'm on my way until I reach my destination. So even if it is marginally faster to fly, I prefer my car for convenience. I also love to drive and like the solitude it affords. I'm totally unfamiliar with the distance between the places you mentioned but because my prejudice is to driving, that's probably what I'd do!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would want a car in Raleigh but not DC. Hmm. I don't know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast