Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Also, which airport are you flying out of? If it's Dulles (or Baltimore!) then I would definitely want a car.

It sounds like you're going to be in the DC area for at least a week? I can easily see wanting a car during that time. The metro is really not good transit to anywhere except downtown IMO. If you want to go further out at all, you will want a car.
    Last edited by egoldber; 03-03-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I assume OP will need a car, but I'd rather rent a car twice than drive 95. I've never not hit traffic on 95. Even on supposed "off hours". If it's raining, add time, if there's an accident add time, if somehow she hits one of our insanely long rush hours, add time.

OP, I'd really look into renting a car at the hotel rather than the airport. You can take a taxi from the airport to the hotel, and at your leisure, pick up a rental car. I've done this in SF before, it works great. Do all your non-car things first, and then when you need a car, rent it.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I assume OP will need a car, but I'd rather rent a car twice than drive 95. I've never not hit traffic on 95. Even on supposed "off hours". If it's raining, add time, if there's an accident add time, if somehow she hits one of our insanely long rush hours, add time.
    The traffic can be so brutal. My parents live about 45 miles south of me on 95, so the drive is less than an hour if there's not traffic, but it is regularly well more than that. Easily an hour to an hour and a half or more. We even get off the highway and go way out of the way around Quantico on back roads just to avoid 95 sometimes, and I assume OP doesn't want to do that.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    The planes aren't huge, but they are jets so that wouldn't bother me. I've flown to and from DC to Raleigh for work many times and I've never been on a prop plane for that route (which is not the case for some other places I've flown to for work). Really, I wouldn't even consider driving over flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is me too. I live between the two. 95 can be a bear depending on rush hour or the random accident. It can double your drive time. I have flown it many times and it is easy peasy. I have always been in jets too (three seats in ine side and two on the other).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3