Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was just reading about this too but won't try it because I don't want to mess with my fillings.

State of relief now that we will have sanity in the White House again

Ok, I tried with coconut oil, and thought hey, it will just soften up, right? I almost threw up when I started rolling around the solid slick mess in my mouth, seriously, gag, gag, gag. I've though about getting high quality olive oil to try it with, but now I'm afraid of my fillings!
    ds 2004
    ds 2006
    ds 2008
    ds 2010

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I tried it last yr when I first got coconut oil. It take a bit to get used to and I didn't mind doing it, but it wasn't a habit I could keep. By the time I had kids in bed and house straightened just brushing my teeth was a task, the oil pulling got pushed to the back burner real quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by *myfoursons View Post
    Ok, I tried with coconut oil, and thought hey, it will just soften up, right? I almost threw up when I started rolling around the solid slick mess in my mouth, seriously, gag, gag, gag. I've though about getting high quality olive oil to try it with, but now I'm afraid of my fillings!
    I've read that olive oil is not a good one to use for oil pulling. Sesame (non-toasted) and coconut oil are the oils of choice.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I haven't tried it, as I know I can not stick with tasks that I dread at the end of the night.

I also have really sensitive teeth though, as well as a highly acidic mouth prone to cavities despite great gum health. I started doing the Ellie Phillips method a few months ago, and love love love it.

FWIW, I've looked into the filling issue and decided it isn't an actual problem. Fillings are supposed to have a lifespan of about ten years so I'm sure that many people have failing fillings without realizing it. They aren't exactly bonded to the tooth but are packed into a space so that the part of the filling that is showing on the surface is smaller than the part inside the tooth (like trapezoid with a larger base and smaller top). It won't come out unless it is already breaking down. Oil isn't going to make it loose on its own but may speed things up if it is already coming out. That apparently isn't always a bad thing since you can get decay under the filling once it starts failing. It's better to have it come on out than sit there and cover up a problem.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2