hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default New printer and PC Laptop?

I need to get a new color printer for some photos and mainly documents, needs to have a scanner too. Any suggestions?

I also need a new PC laptop with a lot of memory -- any suggestions (Mac won't work).

TIA!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I kept hoping to see a reply here. My laptop is fading fast (too many problems to fix), and I was hoping to get another PC rather than invest more in a Mac. Now, though, I fear my husband may be right about getting what we pay for in Apple products.

If anyone has a great PC laptop to recommend, please chime in!
    Stephanie

Mamma to James

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Following for printer reasons.

nfceagles is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had to buy a new printer for home recently. Ended up with an Epson WF-3520 (the 3540 is the same but with an extra paper tray). So far we are happy with it. Reading reviews and specs on them all left my head spinning. There was definitely no obvious choice. It's an all-in-one, so it scans, prints, copies, faxes.

I'm listening in, too. I've needed a new printer for months, but I just can't choose! The reviews are too confusing.

Nfceagles, how is the Epson with ink usage?

nfceagles is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't think I've had it long enough to know for sure, but so far no surprises. I replaced the black that came with it (I've heard the cartridges that come with printers have less ink than the refills), but the colors are still going strong and I've done a fair amount of printing for class craft projects.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Leo Laporte, the tech guy (radio show and podcast network guy), recommends the Epson workhorse all-in-one (like the PP has). Epsons are refillable at costco. I trust his recommendations.

ETA: We just got an asus chromebook. based on that experience, I'd recommend looking at PCs that they manufactured.

ETA2: a link to leo's rec on-air. http://techguylabs.com/episodes/1030...r-should-i-buy

ETA3: one more on-air segment: http://techguylabs.com/episodes/914/...omeone-college
    Last edited by larig; 03-13-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Quote Originally Posted by larig View Post
    Leo Laporte, the tech guy (radio show and podcast network guy), recommends the Epson workhorse all-in-one (like the PP has). Epsons are refillable at costco. I trust his recommendations.
    Thank you, Larig!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

we ended up getting the HP 8600 and the thing is large and SUPER fast (REALLY fast). It is wireless so I can print from my iPhone or laptop in the other room. I also got an HP monster laptop (I needed SSD and 16 GB RAM on a i7 processor, thing is a beast).

printer
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397516,00.asp
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    we ended up getting the HP 8600 and the thing is large and SUPER fast (REALLY fast). It is wireless so I can print from my iPhone or laptop in the other room. I also got an HP monster laptop (I needed SSD and 16 GB RAM on a i7 processor, thing is a beast).
    My picks were between this, the Epson, and a Canon.