Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Exersaucers

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My oldest used a walker ( yup all the time) After DS2 was born they came out. I used them ALL THE TIME with all 3 boys We had a jumperoo too all 4 boys loved those. No hip deformities or issues walking at my house. They were ususally in the center of the living room or kitchen.

YES there were times each of them were in it more than 15 minutes. I even too it outside to do yard work
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My oldest DD was born with hip dysplasia and I wasn't told NOT to use an exersaucer. If you follow the guidelines for using- which is that their tiptoes should touch the ground- then it should be fine for short periods of time.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Great to see you Megs. I just brought out our exersaucer. Both DD1 and 2 love it. Obviously my toddler should not be playing in it but she climbs in for a few mins of fun and then lets the baby have a turn. DD1 then plays with DD2 in it, pushing the buttons and making things move. It is fun to watch the two of them play together. I wouldn't leave a baby in all day, but I find it can give me a good chunk of time to do something without a baby on my hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I've worked in early intervention as a physical therapist, and yes, most of my colleagues are not big fans. I think for a typically developing child, it is probably not a significant risk. However, for a preemie or a child showing delays or at risk of delay, I would definitely skip it. The issue is that the muscles don't fire with the same activity pattern that active standing encourages. This has been confirmed via EMG studies where researchers can use electrodes to look at which muscles are activated and in what patterns.
    The recommendation is generally if you are going to use one to keep it to say 30 min per day. The issue with that is that it adds up quickly. 15 mins while you shower, 10 mins during a phone call, 15 mins while you prep dinner, 10 mins while you tend to your other child, etc. Human nature. That's one reason I opted not to have one; I just know it is too easy to overuse. The other issue is that we have so many devices to contain babies these days. Many are not just in the saucer, but also in other devices. Altogether, that time adds up and detracts from floor time, etc.
    The other thing I've witnessed many times when walking into a home as a therapist, or into daycares, etc. is that all too often parents or caregivers are busy (understandably!) while the child is in the saucer, and they fail to remove a baby showing signs of fatigue. So I would walk in and see 4-6 month olds partly slumped over, etc. and no one was all that attentive.
    YMMV. Most people use them and don't have issues, but I'd skip it entirely for kids at risk of delay or showing any delay as time goes on. I'd also be attentive to how quickly time in it adds up, especially combined with other devices. And be aware that standing it in is not the same as actively standing while holding onto a surface...different muscle recruitment patterns, etc. which does theoretically affect core strength, etc. negatively if overused.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We used one with DD1, bought on Craigslist for $20, then sold months later for $20. It was the only way I could shower or used the toilet when she was that age. I liked it and she liked it. Granted she was only happy in for about 10 minutes, then time to move on. I say go for it.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Loved our Exersaucer and Jumperoo and so did my kids. No issues here. We limited the amount of time too.

That's where Ds2 goes when I have to do the dishes. I would have never showered without one when I had Ds1. I seriously had him in there until 18 months because it kept him contained. He was walking at 9.5 months, but he was short, so he wasn't able to climb out until 18 months...lol.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We received one from a friend and DS really enjoyed it. We had a swing, a bouncy seat, an Exersaucer, a pack n play and a play mat all stationed at various locations around the house. They were all great when we used them for 10-15 minutes at a time. I agree with PPs that the issue is probably when they are used for long periods of time and kids are not closely supervised.
    DS age 9

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We used the Exersaucer and loved it. It gave me a much needed break and DC would kick with joy at the sight of it.

We passed it on to a family having their first baby.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh gosh...it's the only way I can get dinner prepped or dressed in the morning! All 3 of mine have been in the exersaucer (ds2 currently). The other 2 were both walking before 1. We didn't see any ill effects. I totally get the need to just contain them for a minute sometimes. I'm right there with you!!!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast