Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Potty training - which pullup?

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    If no pull-ups... do you mean just go to undies cold turkey?
    Diapers at night/naps for a few weeks at least. But when awake, you go on the pot or you get wet. Having an oops while PTing should be unpleasant!

I do t know why you'd use pull ups instead if a diaper at night.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Diapers at night/naps for a few weeks at least. But when awake, you go on the pot or you get wet. Having an oops while PTing should be unpleasant!

I do t know why you'd use pull ups instead if a diaper at night.
    Exactly. Part of the training is when they realize it feels really icky to pee or poop in your pants instead of the potty and that's minimized in a pull up. We went one step further and didn't use undies for the first month until training was well established. As a bonus it means one less piece of clothing to deal with when rushing to the potty or changing wet clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Exactly. Part of the training is when they realize it feels really icky to pee or poop in your pants instead of the potty and that's minimized in a pull up. We went one step further and didn't use undies for the first month until training was well established. As a bonus it means one less piece of clothing to deal with when rushing to the potty or changing wet clothes.
    Amem to all of the previous posters! I have been very unsuccessful in potty training my child, and I think that pullups are part of the problem. My daughter views the pullups as diapers, and does her business. Cold turkey during the daytime, or at least using cloth training pants, seems to be more helpful, as Mikala explains.

No pull-ups . They make potty training take 10x longer!!
    Yep. Same here. Cold turkey into undies daytime at home. I used regular dipes at night and when we were out until they were pretty good about tellin me (a few weeks). Also not sure how old/large your dc is but my last 2 day trained very young (dd was 22 mos and ds was a week past 2nd bday) and were very small for their ages so big potties scared them a lot. I bought a folding potty called Potette and kept it in the car and tossed in the stroller basket when out. Was a lifesaver many times! You can buy disposable liner bags for it so it is super tiny or get a reusable silicone liner, which we have. I just keep a can of Lysol wipes in the car to use when needed.

Eta I agree about not stopping dipes for sleep until they are consistently dry. Ds has been in undies full time while awake for 11 most but still wets at night. I'd be washing toys and sheets and everything daily.
    Last edited by calebsmama03; 03-07-2014 at 02:58 PM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

adding to the chorus.... no pull-ups here. the kids teachers (who helped with PT'ing) also don't recommend them. IMO they are basically overpriced, leaky diapers. we've only used them when MIL has a stash from DNiece, and i wasn't a fan. i put one on DD overnight, and it leaked big-time (had to change the sheets, etc). Lesson learned!

with DS, we just used diapers at naps at first, then at night. then just at night as a backup. by 4th bday he was completely dry at night. nighttime dryness took a while...almost a year for DS. So i wouldn't throw out dipes completely..i would definitely still have them for nighttime.

i think for some kids pullups at night could work but if your dc is the type to really pee a lot at night then pullups may not cut it.

i guess some people like pullups bc they can just pull on...but i can put diapers on kids while they are standing, and both DS and DD learned to pull down their diapers to go potty (and pull it back on), so I didn't seem much benefit.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 03-07-2014 at 03:12 PM.

We only do pull ups for naps (daycare) and dipes at night. DD has been daytime trained for a while - used Hanna training undies. She's dry about half time during the day for nap. Not sure when nighttime will happen.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

No pull-ups . They make potty training take 10x longer!!
    This, buy training unders instead.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

.....I do t know why you'd use pull ups instead if a diaper at night.
    1. for an older toddler (say 3+) they are easier to get in and out of
    2. for my kids they fit better and by the time they were in them they were the same price as size 6 diapers so the cost of them wasn't an issue for us.

FWIW, training unders for us were no more absorbent than regular panties and especially DD1 she'd pee right through them, the thicker fabric wouldn't stop her at all. We ended up being back up panties for each of my kids. All kids are different.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did diapers overnight. We told him he would be learning to wear underwear, but only during the day at first. Then at bedtime I would say "I'm going to put on your night time diaper now."

Eventually he said he wanted to wear underwear at night too, and since it was before he was really ready, I bought 7 pairs of cloth training pants. Then we went to Hanna trainers.
    DS age 9

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Don't use pull-ups if you can help it. I wish I had never gone down that road but our daycare required pullups (no diapers) for potty training and since learning that there was this option other than diapers, DD2 refuses to wear a regular diaper, claiming that the pull-ups are more comfortable. If there had not been a pull-up requirement at daycare, I never would've bought them.

Huggies overnights is what we used prior to switching to pull-ups for nighttime. They have more of that gel so they hold a lot of pee.

If you must use pull-ups, we use Huggies Pull-ups nighttime which are very comparable in capacity to Huggies Overnights diapers (DD2 pees a LOT at night and regular pullups or diapers don't have the capacity.) We still use these at night but fortunately we just use one each night so I'm not as bothered with the cost.

I haven't tried Goodnights or similar though - and those are even more expensive!!

The only "good" thing about pull-ups is that they're easier to pull up and down...for some kids. DD2 is very sensitive and even though she could pull them up and down, once they were back on she was unable to get them comfortable because the velcro sides would shift, exposing a sharp velcro corner or whatever - and so I have to help her anyway! Anyway at this point the only reason I use pull-ups at night instead of an overnight diaper is simply because it's not a battle I want to pick with DD2. See my other threads about her tantrums

Which takes me back to the bottom line - don't go down the pull-up road if you can help it. Huggies Overnights diapers are great.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 03-07-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast