Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you so much everyone. I had no idea that pull-ups are not as absorbent as diapers, so now I get why people continue to use diapers for naps/overnight. Ok - so I will not buy pullups as they sound like an unnecessary transition that often prolongs the process. I have HA trainer undies for day, and we'll keep the dipes for naps/overnight. I just am not sure about at school. Do I just send DC to school (2 mornings/week) in the HA trainer undies and hope for the best?

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Potty training - which pullup?

I would see what your DCP prefers in regards to panties. My DCP still required a pull up for nap with DD1 for quite some time after she was day trained. I believe my current DCP uses pull ups as needed for naps as well, but with DD2 it hasn't been an issue so I have never asked.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-07-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    No pull-ups . They make potty training take 10x longer!!
    Straight to undies for us! DS1 PTd young (22 months) and I think a big part of that was not introducing the extra step of pull ups. My ped says pull ups are 'a triumph of marketing over function'!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Thank you so much everyone. I had no idea that pull-ups are not as absorbent as diapers, so now I get why people continue to use diapers for naps/overnight. Ok - so I will not buy pullups as they sound like an unnecessary transition that often prolongs the process. I have HA trainer undies for day, and we'll keep the dipes for naps/overnight. I just am not sure about at school. Do I just send DC to school (2 mornings/week) in the HA trainer undies and hope for the best?
    Call school and ask what they prefer. We trained my DD1, 2.5, last weekend and I asked school what they wanted. They said undies and diaper for naps. Other than the first day, she has been completely dry and clean during naps. She had almost never been clean during a nap previous to training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Pull-ups are just as absorbent as diapers. They use the same gel beads. The are no different than diapers other than that they have "big kid" designs, tear-away sides, and are way more expensive! And, just like diapers, you can buy different kinds depending on the capacity that you need (I realize I am picking apart the definitions of "absorbency" and "capacity" - LOL). Nighttime pull-ups will hold more pee because they have more gel beads (just like overnight diapers). Regular pull-ups won't hold as much because they have less of the gel beads and are designed for just holding daytime accidents for potty-training. Regular diapers probably have slightly more capacity than a regular pull-up.

As for school, we found that the teachers had a good sense for which kids are ready and will let you know when to just send them in underwear! My personal opinion is to not bother with worrying about potty training at school until you feel your child is totally ready and attempt it yourself one weekend at home. If successful (my opinion again - if your child is truly good and ready, a weekend should be sufficient to be mostly potty-trained), then you just send him to school in cloth trainers or regular underwear. Let the teachers know so they can be sure he gets enough visits to the potty. Since he's only there 2 mornings/week, I would just try to potty-train him over the longest stretch of time before he goes to school again. So for example if he goes Mon and Wed morning, then start PTing on Thursday and continue through until Monday, then send him in underwear on Monday if successful. Keep using diapers for nap and nighttime. You'll know if you can ditch the diapers for those times once he starts consistently waking up dry from naps/in the morning.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 03-07-2014 at 10:42 PM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

our teachers basically told us when they thought DD was ready for underwear. the first day, she went to school in a diaper but then the teachers would change her into underwear (would put one diaper on for nap). then after a few days, fewer accidents started sending her to school in underwear (still diaper for nap). anyway, love our school for this..they basically PT'd DD for us. it also helps that DD sees lots of other kids use the potty so that helps keep her motivated

Ok - so ironically DC decided last night to start PTing! DC saw the undies in the drawer (the same HA ones that DC had previously refused to try on) and asked to put them on and was so proud strutting around talking about "big-kid undies." DC asked to wear them first thing this morning. So... here we go! I'm so glad I asked my PTing questions here over the last few days so that I am feeling more prepared on what to do. Thanks everyone - wish us luck!

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Good luck! Another option is to put a pull up on OVER the cotton unders so they still feel wet/icky with an accident but you don't need a whole new outfit change
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Good luck! Another option is to put a pull up on OVER the cotton unders so they still feel wet/icky with an accident but you don't need a whole new outfit change
    Thank you! Of course DC now doesn't want anything on over the undies because DC doesn't want to cover them up

Ok - so ironically DC decided last night to start PTing! DC saw the undies in the drawer (the same HA ones that DC had previously refused to try on) and asked to put them on and was so proud strutting around talking about "big-kid undies." DC asked to wear them first thing this morning. So... here we go! I'm so glad I asked my PTing questions here over the last few days so that I am feeling more prepared on what to do. Thanks everyone - wish us luck!
    See that's why I did a pull-up type just for nighttime (I forget what we did for naps, but we were able to switch to underpants much sooner for naps than for overnight) - she was so proud to be done with diapers, and to just be in training pants or pull-ups (which we conveyed were different, more "big kid" than diapers). She really only wore them while sleeping so it didn't delay anything - I agree that I wouldn't use them during the day (ok once for a long car ride where she might sleep, and I think a couple times when she was sick, she was very grateful for the option to use them, even after she was day potty trained she was still so grateful a couple times when she was sick, she did make it to the potty in time but it was just one less thing for her to worry about when she was miserable). That pride I found was such a big motivator, so I was happy to stop using the "diapers" and switch to pull-ups overnight (we used Goodnites and never had a problem with leaks).

Good luck!!
    DD 10/09
    DS 2/13

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast