Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's your system for pumping and storing breastmilk?

When I had DD 5 years ago, I used the Playtex nurser system. I was very happy with the whole system and found it to be very convenient. I was planning on using the same system now for DS but I see they changed the rings and caps and people don't seem to like them as much...

I have some rings and caps left from DD but not really enough to have a decent amount of breastmilk stored. I also don't love the fact that storing them in the liners just isn't space efficient.

DH is the one giving her the bottles every day while I'm at work, so he really appreciates the ease of the nurser system- no pouring breastmilk, just pop the liner into the bottle and switch the cap for a nipple.

I'm wondering if there are any other simple solutions...Is it possible to pump directly into an of the storage bags out there (I have a Medela pump)? They are so much more space efficient in the freezer and don't require all those rings and caps... But then I/DH would have to deal with pouring it into a bottle, and then washing the bottle...

What's your system? Are you happy with it?
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

I'm exclusively pumping because of my baby's cleft palate. I'm locked into using a special bottle so I can't speak to that specifically, but I do know what's out there!

There's a complete system called a kiinde that allows you to pump directly into the bags which store conveniently in a case laying flat. When you're ready to use them, you put them in a fantastic warmer (i have the warmer even though i can't use the rest of the system) and then just snap them into the bottle. The cap twists on and voila. It's a really cool system, though kind of expensive to get started.

Personally, I use the lansinoh bags, though they are difficult to pour from, because they store the most conveniently (laid flat to freeze and then stood up in a divider). I absolutely hate the medela bags.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used the playtex nursing system for both kids and love the ease of using the disposable liners and not having to wash the bottles.

I would pump into the medela bottles that came with my pump and pour them into 1 oz trays to freeze. The cubes fit great into the liners and quick to defrost. His was when they were younger and needing only about 3 oz or less

When they were older I would pump and immediate pour them into lansinloh bm bags premeasured for single servings at whatever oz DD was drinking at the time. When it's time to serve, I just defrost the whole bag and the pour into the liners. It was really easy and take up little space in the freezer because the bag just last flat on top of each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I WOTH FT so our nanny and my DH give DD2 bottles while I'm working. I pump directly into our Dr. Brown's bottles - per Kellymom, breast milk should last in the refrigerator for 5-8 days. I have about a 2-3 day stash in the freezer and on the rare occasion that I need to freeze milk I just pour into the Lansinoh bags.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

I used the Lansinoh Bags and I just used them as the liners in my Playtex bottles.

Jen
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

MamaInMarch is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ladysoapmaker View Post
    I used the Lansinoh Bags and I just used them as the liners in my Playtex bottles.

Jen
    Yep, this.

Jen
    Wait, so the Lansinoh bags fit into the Playtex bottles?
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Jen
    That was my plan.

This too. I'd pull the bag in from the bottom, unzip the bag and pull it up and over the threads, screwing the nipple and ring over them. No waste!

Quote Originally Posted by jammytoast View Post
    This too. I'd pull the bag in from the bottom, unzip the bag and pull it up and over the threads, screwing the nipple and ring over them. No waste!
    I didn't realize you could screw the nipple on over a bag. That's great.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast