khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Party activities for 5-6 year old boys?

My DS's birthday is coming up. he is turning 6. He doesnt have a party theme in mind yet. He likes LEGO Star Wars and Ninjago. We've had a Star Wars party before with the pool noodle light sabers. So I'd like to do something different. What kind of activities can we do with boys that will keep them busy for an hour or 90 minutes? Party would be about 2 hours long and I know we can fill some of that time with eating pizza or cake/ice cream and presents.

Last time at the Star Wars party they pretty much just ran around like crazy despite me having activities planned.

Early April is still cold here and there will probably be snow on the ground still. So I cant really plan on something outside.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How about a Jedi or Ninja training academy where you have them do lots of different activities as part of their training? I have done a ninja party and did training games and also a spy party where they did training games. Some of the games we did were:

Potato Sack Race
    Egg Spoon Race
    Laser Beam Obstacle Course (done with crepe paper in a hallway)

We also did a treasure hunt at the spy party with clues and the kids loved that.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Can you cut the party to 90 minutes? I just did an at home party for ds2 and I wished I'd done 90 minutes instead. But, the piƱata was the main hit. I had a craft and 2 physical games. They just wanted to play.

If you're inspired though, I've found fun games and activities on birthday party ideas.com. You can search Ninjago and SW parties for ideas.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

check pinterest. tons of lego ideas. We were going to do a lego party at home and I got ideas there. Coloring pages, building with legos, make your own lego pinata, etc.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

There are lots of things you can do for a lego party. When my DS was in K, we had a lego party for him. One of the activities was racing cars the kids built. My husband made a race course using an old door and making 3 or four straight tracks. We set the door up like a ramp and the kids raced in heats. This has been a favorite activity for years -- the door still comes out when friends are over now that he is 11.

We divided the kids in teams by having them pop balloons with a colored lego inside -- the lego decided what color team the kids were on. Another game inovlved separating a huge pile of legos into your team's colors (ie., a huge pile of legos in 4 colors was dumped and the first team to separate all of their legos won). Teams also were given time to build the tallest lego tower. There was a contest for the kids to guess how many legos were in a jar --- quite hillarious for the adults, because many of the kids did not have a good handle on numbers or estimating yet. Then of course, kids + legos + free build time = great fun.

For invitaitons, we assembled lego rectangles and attached or wrote (can't remember) the invitation on the constructed rectangle. Then we separated the bricks, put them in envelopes, and mailed or delivered the invitations to the guests for them to assemble. We included a parent invitation --- just incase the kids couldn't get it assembled correctly.

I hope your DS has a great time at his party.