wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Is Crossfit worth it? What is the longer-term experience? Opinions needed please

Anyone here do Crossfit? This is not about me, it's my husband. DH is a total gym buff, 1.5 hours a day minimum, belongs to 2 gyms, on a team, plus pilates at home. He feels like he really needs to spend that time due to a back injury. He tried Crossfit yesterday and he LOVED it. I'd like to encourage him to join. But: it's expensive. He doesn't need to get in better shape, he's already fit. He doesn't need coaching for proper form, he has lifted for years and knows how to protect his back during cardio. He doesn't need motivation, and he already works out with a moderate-to-high degree of intensity. But I'd really be into it if it helped him spend a bit less time at the gym. Does that make sense? Wondering if crossfit could solve my "I wish you were home more!" problem and help him feel fit and challenged and have a healthy back.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd be inclined to have him go to his gym and just look up the Workout of the Day from CrossFit (there are plenty online) to do there. If he doesn't need the people for motivation and just needs inspiration and a push, he should be able to do it solo. My gym opened their version of a box w all the standard equipment Crossfit places seem to have. I like that I can go at hours that work for me and not have to pay more money. Anyway, it's an idea to see if he likes the workouts without a new investment.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Um well so DH and I both do crossfit. we love it. I am not sure it is correlated to spending less time at the gym. It is something we can do together which is nice. Ok I re-read. Most people aren't going to spend more than 1.5 hours at the gym. Crossfit class is an hour including warm up (some people might go in 10-15 mins before class starts and warm up one more). He might spend another 15 mins after class working on some weakness but that is about it. It is likely to be MORE intense than what he is doing at the gym since there is "competition" in the class. There will be things for him to learn (double unders, triple unders if he is insane); even oly lifting.

ETA is it less $ if he quits the other 2 gyms? That is what DH and I did.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

You all are probably right. Crossfit seems great, but it's crazy expensive. Here they're all $200/month. Not worth it unless it is the key to getting you in the gym & getting fit.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have several friends who do it. One girl I would call a fanatic or addict even. She did it throughout her pregnancy too.
    It does have a bit of a cultish thing about it IMO but overall it seems like a good thing. I think the competition is what a lot of my athlete friends really feed off of. That and the team aspect.
    DD
    DS

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Not my personal experience, but have talked to several friends and family members about their crossfit experience as I think my DH would really enjoy it too. The experience your DH would get really depends on the personality of the coaches. I wonder what he's looking for in all the working out he does. He may want to do pay the drop-in fee for a couple of weeks or pay for just one month up front to make sure that he likes the atmosphere of the location before committing long term. My friends who are in it do a 30-60 minute workout, depending on their goals. One friend started it up to handle her post-baby weight and its turned out to handle her anxiety as well. She does nearly daily 30 minute workouts and is in fantastic shape mentally and physically. The place she picked had a mentoring atmosphere- not quite so competitive- and it really helps her. Do you think your DH has something like that, not necessarily anxiety but some other stressor, that working out keeps at bay? If so maybe if he did find the right group he'd spend less time and still feel great.

This has been so helpful. I hadn't really thought of it as a team sport. But it is. I think that would be a big plus for him. He plays hockey and loves being on a team, but he's not great at it and never will be. This is something he might be able to excel at, while having teammates to do it with. Hmmmmm.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

I will add one note of caution. Speaking to a physical therapist friend of mine, she told me they see lots of cross fit injuries at the ortho hospital where she works. People get tired and lose good form and then get injured. That risk is probably lower with someone who is already in good shape. But I have another friend who had to stop going because the speed+weights was doing a number on her neck. And she is an avid runner etc. So it can be possible that people push themselves too hard and get hurt. But you can say that in any sport!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Is Crossfit worth it? What is the longer-term experience? Opinions needed please

I personally love the idea of cross fit, but don't love the cost. I can't afford that plus my regular gym membership monthly, which is essential because I work out at least 3x a week (plus most Sat AM, which is my longest workout at an hour--lunch workouts are 40 mins., 20 cardio and 20 weights, or 40 cardio--I try to do 2 each per week) during lunch and the chain gym near me is my only choice. Cross Fit is $150 a month here once you are out of the groupon deals of $50 a month or the like. I lift a lot of free weights on my own and have for the past 15 yrs. and so I have a great basic lifting routine as well. If you can afford the costs I think a great weight lifting program is well worth it.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-10-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)