ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Mirena questions

I've had my Mirena in for 4.5 years. It will be 5 years in June, when I'm supposed to have it removed. For the majority of the time I have had it in, I've gotten very light spotting rather than a full blown period, and it was at inconsistent times. But I've noticed for the past 2-3 months that I get more of an actual period (not as heavy as it was pre-Mirena) and then spotting that can last more than a week. I'm assuming this is because the hormones are lessening in the Mirena since its almost to the 5 year mark? Or should I be concerned? FWIW, I've not had a normal period since before DD1 was born, she's now 7.5 years old! I was pregnant, nursed for 14 mos., and was on the mini-pill but then got pregnant shortly after I weaned DD1. Then nursed DD2 for 13 months, and got the Mirena in when she was 6 mos. old.

Also, DH is refusing to get the snip done even though we are both content w/ two kids. I've not had any major issues w/ the Mirena (though I do wonder if it has contributed to lack of libido and can it have side effects of headaches?) I was going to get another one put in after this one is removed, providing that insurance covers most of it. Do I have to wait a period of time after getting this one removed before inserting a new one? Or can it all be done at one time? And if I do have to wait between them, am I going to experience cramping, bleeding, etc. after it is removed?

Thanks for any input!

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I switched my Mirena out for a new one at the 5yr mark. It was done at one appointment. I did experience some spotting and cramping after the appointment. I took ibuprofen before my appt, and the cramping was uncomfortable but not unbearable.

And FWIW, my periods did get heavier towards the end of the 5yr mark on my previous Mirena, but they stopped altogether when I got a new one.
    Last edited by aa2mama; 03-10-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07