TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Playdate activities for 3-year-olds?

We're getting ready to reciprocate a playdate with DD1's "best friend" from school. Usually for playdates with other friends, we just let the kids explore existing toys and activities at home, or meet at a neighborhood park. But, for our first playdate with this friend, the mom had purchased some slice and bake cookie dough, frosting, and sprinkles for the girls to do which I thought was nice. What are some other age-appropriate activities that I could have ready if needed?
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

Depending on the kids - art supplies that aren't normally out - some seasonally cute flower stickers or something else fun.

Just pulling out some of the bigger toys in the middle of the room or a different room made them feel new and different for everyone.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't think it's necessary for you to have an activity just because the other mom did. If you really wanted to do something you could have some glue sticks, tissue paper, pom poms, and markers and let the girls do some arts and crafts type stuff. If the weather is nice enough you could do bubbles or sidewalk chalk outside.
    But at 3, I don't think it's necessary whatsoever.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

We had a full day play date a few weeks ago because DS's friend's day care was closed for a snow day and her mom still had to work. I got a TON of mileage out of an ALEX toys busy box: http://smile.amazon.com/ALEX%C2%AE-T...+toys+busy+box
    (that I did not pay $30 for - someone posted a deal here and it was more like $15 IIRC)
    They did several projects and had a lot of fun with it.

homemade playdoh that the kid can "color"/ scent with koolaid-- it smells really yummy and if the playdough is warm when you do it , kinda relaxing

i agree that pulling bigger toys or rotating toys OR my personal favorite-- THEME your toys (group by farm ,rainbow, blocks, etc.... am i the only person who can theme their child's toys....seriously we've had whole "baby" playdates, "zoo" playdates, etc. )

seriously though- if the kids get along well, just the novelty of a playmate and the other kid seeing "new" stuff is really quite enough. if you wanted to have a special snack that always goes a long way-- it doesn't have to be "decorating" something- even juice, if your kid doesn't have that alot - can be exciting!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How about dipping strawberries in chocolate sauce?
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Seitvonzu View Post
    homemade playdoh that the kid can "color"/ scent with koolaid-- it smells really yummy and if the playdough is warm when you do it , kinda relaxing

i agree that pulling bigger toys or rotating toys OR my personal favorite-- THEME your toys (group by farm ,rainbow, blocks, etc.... am i the only person who can theme their child's toys....seriously we've had whole "baby" playdates, "zoo" playdates, etc. )

seriously though- if the kids get along well, just the novelty of a playmate and the other kid seeing "new" stuff is really quite enough. if you wanted to have a special snack that always goes a long way-- it doesn't have to be "decorating" something- even juice, if your kid doesn't have that alot - can be exciting!
    Cool ideas! Love the "theme" idea. My kids would really get into that.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This decorate-your-own mirror kit was a huge hit at a friend's 3yo playdate:
    http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-D...sa+doug+mirror