bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Neck Pain: Chiropractor, Physical Therapist or something else?

I'm still in pain after over 2 weeks. Sometimes it gets better and some days (like today) it is pretty darn painful and uncomfortable! Ironically it is usually worst after I wake up from a night "rest". I'm ready to do something about it. I'm not in unbearable pain but I'm ready to feel better and I'm not getting there!

I can't really make an appointment until Wednesday. Would you see a PT? Chiropractor? I feel like I must be doing something that is continuing to make my neck hurt. Any of these guys good for helping me figure out what I'm doing to make it hurt every day?

TIA!

Hmmm, I would probably start with a chiropractor, but try to find one that others recommend rather than choosing one at random. I have been seeing a chiropractor for the last week or so due to severe sciatic nerve issues. I have seen him in the past and he comes highly recommended. He is also more into massage/physical therapy and less into "cracking" stuff! I hope your neck feels better asap.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Thank you! DH has been to a guy that is just down the street from me. I'm going to give it a try. My insurance actually covers chiropractic so it will only cost $15. It is worth it. I am miserable!

Chiropractor. I have used both. Started with PT, moved to the chiropractor who helped the most both for immediate relief and long term. The PT did show me how to do at home traction with DH that helps when my neck is tight, but nothing helps the range of motion or pain relief as much as the chiropractor.

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    Chiropractor. I have used both. Started with PT, moved to the chiropractor who helped the most both for immediate relief and long term. The PT did show me how to do at home traction with DH that helps when my neck is tight, but nothing helps the range of motion or pain relief as much as the chiropractor.
    Cool. See, I loved my PT for the problems I've been having with my injured knee. Totally invaluable information! But my neck feels "out" or off. I'm going to see how soon I can get in there. Right now I'm just trying to do some light stretching and taking Ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling.

I'm also a fan of chiro but with the caveat to make sure they do xrays and check thoroughly for any more serious issues before they touch you.

Another thing to try, esp if it feel like muscle tightness/pain, is magnesium oil. I was totally skeptical but WOW! I take oral mag for hormonal headaches (that are accompanied by horrible neck pain) since my last pg and it has helped a bit but I was still getting several raging ones a week at certain points in my cycle. DH bought this magnesium oil (Life flo brand, avail on amazon but we got locally) for about $8 and sprayed some on my neck then massaged it in and holy wow, it actually helped a lot! Not miracle-grade help but a definite improvement (regular massages do not generally help me). Supposedly the transdermal mag is better absorbed and it goes right to the area quicker? I also used it on a tweaked back muscle and BIL used it on a tweaked neck when he was over this weekend and it helped both of those things. Magnesium in general is supposed to help with muscle relaxation so perhaps that is why it helps muscle pain?

It is not truly an oil but feels a little oily at first, hence the name. It *is* a super saturated salt solution so it can sting on sensitive of broken skin (I won't mention my mistake of using on freshly shaven legs....) but otherwise is completely safe at regular doses. I use it daily as a preventative now- I decreased my oral mag to 1 pill and do 2 sprays of this under each arm since it works as a deodorant (I don't find it strong enough but it does seem to enhance my usual natural deod) then another spray on my neck. If I start getting neck pain/headache I use it again as needed. It's only been a week but last week was AF week and usually I'd have a massive headache every day requiring me to take a few doses of NSAID daily and while I did have a headache once day and on "off" feeling another, it was nothing like my usual headache and neck pain (didn't need any meds) so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Good luck! I hope you're feeling better soon.

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Another vote for a chiropractor. It does wonder for DH's neck issues and has given him immediate pain relief when he realigns his spine and neck.

If after an xray you find that it's another issue, then maybe PT. But definitely start with chiro

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would start with an orthopedist. That might mean going to your GP first for a referral. The advantage of the orthopedist is that she/he can diagnose you and make recommendations based on the diagnosis. You will likely be referred to PT.
    FwIw, this happened to me, except with my shoulder, and I took the above steps. PT is really helping. Depending on your insurance, you might have to take those steps (GP, ortho, thenPT) to get it covered.

Hope you get to feeling better.
    My baby boy is 3!