Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Nitrous oxide for dentistry? Ds1 needs teeth pulled.

Ds1 needs 2 baby teeth pulled. The adult teeth are fully erupted and we've waited nearly a year for the baby teeth to fall out/get loose on their own. Recent consult with orthodontist and they think we should pull them. I love our dentist and they have excellent chair side manners, Ds1 knows them well, trusts them, and all the staff are great, but our dentist doesn't use/provide nitrous.

Ds1 is prone to anxiety and very, very sensitive to pain so I am wondering if I should take him someplace else that offers it. WWYD? Should I go elsewhere just so he can have nitrous?
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DD is also quite anxious (as am I). I personally will not have work done without nitrous and when my daughter has had other work done it has made the experience so much less stressful. We both had to have fillings in October without (the dentist we saw at the time did not offer it; have since changed providers) and it was not a great experience for either of us.

I was thinking of switching providers before she had to have her filling done in October and ended up sticking with the dentist. Well, it wasn't a good experience and I really regret not finding someone who offered nitrous at the time. Because now she is even more anxious about the dentist and going forward it is going to be an uphill battle.

ETA: my insurance does not cover it and the cost is usually $40-$60.
    Last edited by nfowife; 03-10-2014 at 02:00 PM.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've never been to a dentist that uses nitrous oxide and neither have the kids. Ds1 had a tooth pulled but I think they just did topical and novacaine.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds1 is prone to anxiety and very, very sensitive to pain
    In this case, I think it is WELL worth finding someone who will do nitrous. My younger DD had a tooth pulled recently and while it was not traumatic, it was quite painful for her and that was WITH nitrous.

ETA: Be prepared that it is kind of expensive and dental insurance often will not cover it.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Our pediatric dentist uses nitrous and it's not terribly expensive. She had 2 teeth filled using nitrous and novacaine at her last appointment and the total was around $200 for everything. We don't have dental insurance.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered that insurance wouldn't cover it but that makes sense. Sigh. I am so torn between thinking that it could go just fine, I had extractions as a kid without nitrous and it didn't bother me, but if it goes badly then it could set things up to be so much worse in the future if he needs more dental work.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just ask them for an estimate before you do it so you aren't surprised.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS has had many extractions, and I honestly can't imagine not giving him nitrous. I wouldn't say that he is normally an anxious kid, but he has a very strong gag reflex and has always had texture issues with food. So, if that is an issue for your DS, I REALLY recommend nitrous.

I just went and looked at the itemized bill for DD's appointment, which was 2 weeks ago. We were charged $20 for nitrous.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our family dentist highly recommended it when DD1 had her first cavity at age 6. She has since had more cavities filled and he always uses it. She doesn't even realize what he is doing but I know she would freak out if we couldn't use it (this is the kid that had a melt down in the peds office over a flu shot - she works herself up so much and has a hard time calming back down).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast