bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Would you use an older crib mattress for a baby older than 6 months?

I'm embarrassed to say that my 2yo DS3 is sleeping on the same mattress we bought 10.5 years ago for his oldest brother. 4 mo DD is probably going to sleep in our Graco PnP until DS3 is ready to move out. He's just too hard and too easily upset to do the transition now! But my question is this, if I wait until she is older than 6 months, can I still use my old mattress and avoid SIDS risks? Would you be comfortable with that? It isn't that I can't afford another mattress, I'm just not sure that the statistics bear that a new mattress will be necessary once she's past that critical 6 months mark. Does that make sense?

I do have to mention that she gave us quite a scare in the hospital. She turned blue and stopped breathing 3 times so I'm extra neurotic with her. Everything makes me nervous. I'm happy that she's made it to 4 months but I really want to make sure I do everything right.

TIA!

ETA: A better way to phrase it would be "At what point would you consider a baby beyond the risk of SIDS and would you use an older mattress at that time?"

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you are embarrassed I should be mortified, all three of my kids slept on the same mattress and we bought it used. I had never heard about "old mattresses" until after DS 2 was born and honestly it was not an issue that worried me. DD generally co-slept with me but when she was in her crib it was on that mattress. I will say that none of my kids had other "risk factors" for SIDS.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How firm is the mattress? As long as it was firm, I would not worry. Otherwise, I would get an ikea mattress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    How firm is the mattress? As long as it was firm, I would not worry. Otherwise, I would get an ikea mattress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I should probably check. It was nice and firm 10 years ago and until DS3 used it. But he's constantly jumping on it and I'm wondering if it is kind of breaking down. Might be better and safer to just plan on replacing it. I'll have to check out what Ikea offers. I didn't even think of that!

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DD2 is sleeping on the mattress from DD1, and she used it for 3 years and it's been fine. The only reason DD1 and DS didn't share is because they were both in cribs at the same time (less than 2 years apart). When I went to put DD1's crib back together for DD2, I looked at both mattresses and chose DD1's because somehow DS's mattress got a slash in the mattress outer cover (probably when we moved).
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

DS is sleeping on DDs mattress and has been since he moved to his crib around four months.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We got a nice mattress for Nathan ( 10) he used it Jack used it (5) now our friends are using it as a toddler bed mattress for their daughter who is 3
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions