rachelh is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Entertainers for DD's birthday party

DD2 is obsessed with dogs. I was trying to find a dog trick/circus dog show for her birthday party. I finally found something that looks promising but I guess I am a little worried of having some stranger come to my home and be with the kids - obviously there will be numerous adults there too. I am in contact with an "agency" that refers entertainers but I know nothing about the agency or this individual. What is the norm here? Should I be asking about background checks? References from other people who have used this entertainer? Are these things deal breakers?

TIA!
    DD1 6/9/06
    DD2 3/19/10

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would try to get a few references from a family with kids. If they can't provide refs I would find it a deal breaker.

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have you looked at your local humane society? We did 2 parties at ours. They organized a craft, a game, and a tour of the facility and they kids got to go in the puppy area and get a puppy to play with and pet. All of the kids loved it. Does the entertainer have any online reviews? Thats a good place to start. With all the adults around, I wouldn't worry about the person/background checks if they are there for a short time, but I would want to see reviews if others were happy with them.

rachelh is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendmatt View Post
    Have you looked at your local humane society? We did 2 parties at ours. They organized a craft, a game, and a tour of the facility and they kids got to go in the puppy area and get a puppy to play with and pet. All of the kids loved it. Does the entertainer have any online reviews? Thats a good place to start. With all the adults around, I wouldn't worry about the person/background checks if they are there for a short time, but I would want to see reviews if others were happy with them.
    Thank you! We are doing it at home. I actually have everything already because we were supposed to have a dog themed party last year and DD got sick the day before the party. Needless to say, I have EVERYTHING for this party in storage and am finally happy to be using it.
    DD1 6/9/06
    DD2 3/19/10