Default Anyone Else Having Trouble With Minastrin?

I was a very happy LoEstrin Fe consumer and then they discontinued the product. I had zero complaints. I was told that Minastrin, a chewable BCP, was the same thing and would replace LoEstrin. I switched somewhere around October/November of last year.

Initially, I had no problems, although I do think my weight gain began around that time. Then in Feb, I started spotting mid-pack. I take the pills continuously to avoid periods and the migraines I get with them. Well, it had been a long time since I'd taken the placebos and the OBGYN told me that if I started spotting, I probably needed to let my body have a "period", so I spotted until the placebo pills, took the placebos, had a normal cycle, then started a new pack. About 1.5-2 weeks into that pack....same thing started happening, except heavier spotting. I am also ridiculously bloated, I have terrible cramps (which normally are not a problem for me), I'm moody and my breasts hurt. I feel pregnant, but I'm not (I tested because I had to have a CT scan).

I started to do some reading and found that quite a few others who had made the switch to Minastrin are dealing with the same thing. I'm about 95% certain these pills are wreaking havoc on my body. Oh, and they are causing serious acne too, which has also never really been a problem, even as a teen. I called and asked to be switched to a generic version of LoEstrin, as it seems that one is now available, so I'll be curious to see if that is better.

I was just wondering if anyone else was dealing with these issues as a result of taking Minastrin? I know there were a few of us who had to switch.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

I first switched to Junel FE 1/20 (which I have 3 unused packs of that I will mail to anyone who wants them and pm's me their address...) and then we figured out that I needed more estrogen, and I have been on Junel FE 1.5/30 for about a year and have been feeling much better. I was having symptoms that I thought were perimenopausal (night sweats, hair loss, loss of libido) and switching to the higher estrogen fixed most of it.

Interesting. I have an appt. at the beginning of June, so I'll probably ask some more in depth questions then, but I just hate how I feel right now and I really don't need spotting. That's just annoying! I'm glad you found something that worked. I'll definitely keep your experience in mind.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Interesting. I also had no problems with Loestrin Fe after I had been on it awhile. I did spot though the first three months. After that it disappeared. When I switched to Minastrin I think I had spotting maybe the first month and then it stopped. But I have noticed I've gained weight, am moody, and have noticed more acne as well. My libido is also GONE. But, I'm also suspecting my thyroid could be off. I go to the dr on Monday and if all thyroid tests come back good and she finds nothing else, I think I'll call my OB/GYN. I didn't put 2 + 2 together, but it could be the new pills. Let us know how you are feeling after the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Interesting. I also had no problems with Loestrin Fe after I had been on it awhile. I did spot though the first three months. After that it disappeared. When I switched to Minastrin I think I had spotting maybe the first month and then it stopped. But I have noticed I've gained weight, am moody, and have noticed more acne as well. My libido is also GONE. But, I'm also suspecting my thyroid could be off. I go to the dr on Monday and if all thyroid tests come back good and she finds nothing else, I think I'll call my OB/GYN. I didn't put 2 + 2 together, but it could be the new pills. Let us know how you are feeling after the switch.
    Well, I'm not all the way through the first pack of Lomedia (supposed to be the generic for LoEstrin), but so far I feel better. I am not all bloated and moody and miserable (none of which I normally deal with). However, toward the end of the last Minastrin pack, I started spotting a lot again, then I went straight to the new med without taking the placebos (which I typically don't take) and had the absolute worst bleeding of my life for a solid 7 days (not including any spotting before and after) as well as a week long migraine. I was miserable. Since that ended though, I am feeling better. I have an u/s tomorrow morning to check for any other possible causes of excessive bleeding, but right now the Dr. is chalking it up to the old pill/switching. After reading some online reviews, it would seems that a lot of women have had similar experiences.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09