barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default "Healthy" Ranch dressing

Has anyone found any that tastes good at all? DS likes it on veggies, so I'd like to find one, but every "healthy" kind I buy is absolutely gross. I've tried Annie's, Earthfare brand, and some other organic one at Earthfare. Also tried the organic dry mixes where you add sour cream or something....not a hit. If I could find one that just didn't have msg and soybean oil in it, I think I'd be ok with that.
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

Not sure if this would work for you, but it is very easy to make. I do not keep dressing in the house but I make this every once in a while. 2 batches fills a small glass mason jar (is that pint sized?) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ng-recipe.html

ETA: I put in dried oregano in lieu of chives during the winter. I have chives in my garden in the summer.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We like Brianna's Homestyle Buttermilk Ranch dressing, although we usually thin it with a bit of water since it's pretty thick. Just checked the ingredients, and it has not MSG and no soybean oil, although it does have canola oil in it.

We also often make our own; there are a zillion recipes online.

DH has a salad for lunch everyday and is obsessed with Bolthouse dressings. Their Classic Ranch is his favorite flavor. The dressing is yogurt-based, so very healthy IRT to fat/calories. I think they are also a pretty "natural" focused company.

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    DH has a salad for lunch everyday and is obsessed with Bolthouse dressings. Their Classic Ranch is his favorite flavor. The dressing is yogurt-based, so very healthy IRT to fat/calories. I think they are also a pretty "natural" focused company.
    Me and DD LOVE the Bolthouse dressings. We have tried maybe 4 or 5 flavors and all were really good. The only downsize is they expire much sooner than other salad dressings.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

This homemade mix is very good. I think the proportion of liquid is off and makes it too runny personally. You can use Greek yogurt. http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/homemad...seasoning-mix/

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks! I'm going to try to find those brands. If I make it myself, how long will it keep in the fridge?
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I made Pioneer Woman's ranch dressing and it was really tasty. I think I used greek yogurt instead of sour cream ... and I didn't have buttermilk. Kind of kept tasting and making adjustments and additions till it tasted the way I wanted it to. My older DS is picky about his ranch dressing ... only likes it from a couple of local restaurants. Most store bought are too tangy.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...anch-dressing/

Watching. I am a Hidden Valley powder mix girl. My 'healthy' after many non processed/homemade attempts is the mix with light mayo and skim milk.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know you weren't interested in mixes, OP, but my DD, who also considers herself a ranch dressing connoisseur, likes dressing made from Penzey's buttermilk dressing base.
    http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...uttermilk.html
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06