Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Don't under-estimate the excitement of breakfast for dinner!!! Eggs, pancakes and bacon! French toast! Or, maybe even one of those breakfast casseroles are pretty easy and breakfast food is super-popular with DD. Her other faves include (but could be nixed on any given day
    - Fish (grilled, fried, usually baked in our convection oven. Her faves are salmon with dill and parmessan tilapia.
    - Beans and rice. Could be Mexican style or lately we've done Cajun (very mild) with red beans, rice and sausage.
    - Tacos. She only has meat and cheese on hers, but Im hoping someday she ventures into trying a little tomatoes or lettuce.
    - Baked chicken (nothing fancy, just salt and pepper) with roasted or steamed veggies
    - Typical kid faves like quesadillas, pizza, etc.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

At any given point in time my kids vacillate between loving and hating the following:

Pork chops
    Tagine
    Spaghetti & meatballs - Sauce and meatballs made from scratch
    Salmon
    Chicken breast
    Chili (with ground turkey & chickpeas)
    Meatloaf
    Turkey burgers
    Tacos
    Homemade chicken soup
    Chipti - (sort of Assyrian meatballs served with a tomato based sauce over rice)
    Dolma
    Chicken nuggets (though Stachio - 4 yo, just said he doesn't like them anymore)
    Rice, noodles, potato (baked) and couscous are almost always a go
    Stachio will eat almost ANY fruit. Peanut sticks to the melons, apples and bananas, skipping most berries
    They both eat carrots, peas, corn, broccoli and cauliflower for veggies
    My kids also love eggs in almost any format for any meal

That said, we try not to stress too much about food. Peanut just had is 2.5 yo WCC and the paperwork we got said most toddlers are ok with 7-10 good meals a week...and they don't all have to be dinner.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know, what day of the week is it? Ha. For the most part, she will eat:

Chicken, either in bread crumbs and baked, baked or grilled legs, or Bell & Evans nuggets
    Turkey burger or burger
    Meatloaf, several varieties, as long as it's bell pepper-free
    Meatballs, several varieties
    Ham
    Fish that's been coated in panko and baked or shallow fried
    Chicken cilantro dumplings
    Aidell's chicken apple sausages
    Hotdogs and turkey dogs
    Mac and cheese, as long as I didn't make it from scratch
    Pasta, just about any type, in several forms, including red sauce, with or without meatballs or Italian sausage (but not meat sauce), white clam sauce, with garlic and oil, with garlic, oil and tuna.
    Pizza
    Grilled cheese
    Breakfast for dinner, usually eggs, not sweet breakfast, with turkey sausage, fruit and toast, or an omelet
    Chicken noodle soup; meaning, broth and the noodles
    Cheese quesadilla with salsa and sour cream

In terms of side items, she likes salad, raw carrots and celery, and cooked broccoli, green beans, corn, peas, and edamame. She does not like rice, potatoes other than mashed, sweet potatoes, and most other vegetables or grains. She always has fruit with dinner, either strawberries, raspberries, watermelon, apple, grapes, or pineapple.
    Last edited by boolady; 03-12-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

DS is a pretty good eater, but his tastes aren't typical and it's hard to get him to try new things. Peer pressure works pretty well though (meaning, seeing something at another child's home or in their lunch at school) And this list has been a long time in the making. He has always been a picky eater and it hasn't been easy. Things started to get better at about 3.5.

The "adult" main dishes that DS likes (or will consent to eat w/o modification) are:
    -smoked salmon (his absolute favorite food)
    -meatballs (no sauce, no pasta, just plain)
    -ham...either ham steak or rolled cold cuts. He especially likes the rolled cold cuts over a green bean or asparagus spear. (I totally stole that one from the daycare!).
    -prosciutto
    -salmon loaf
    -sushi
    -shepherd's pie
    -sausages (the super spicy merguez ones) - he's a big fan of breakfast for dinner if it's eggs and sausage
    -fondue (both cheese and chocolate)
    -quiche
    -chicken fried rice, as well as other more vegetarian style Indian and Chinese dishes
    -Greek salad and cold bean salad w/o the dressing
    -risotto (but not happily)

foods with special (and not necessarily healthy) modifications:
    -pita w/cheese inside
    -English muffin w/cheese on top...cold, not toasted
    -crackers or bagels w/ cream cheese, pate, or salmon spread
    -cooked pasta w/nothing on it (eew!)
    -a burrito or taco with just cheese inside (he'll eat the veggies on the side)

He also eats a wide variety of fruits and veggies and is perfectly happy to make a meal of a bunch of those plus a cheese stick or two. The only kid foods he eats are hot dogs, grilled cheese, pizza, and (recently) burgers. He won't eat most types of potato dishes, soup, some types of rice or quinoa, anything with a sauce, and has recently dropped baked beans from his likes.
    Last edited by MontrealMum; 03-13-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just wanted to say that I'm really appreciating all these meal ideas! When I have a minute, I'm going to just jot these all down and make a list so I don't have to reinvent the wheel every time the kids are hungry (or it is time to go shopping!)

Good to know there are lots of you out there with kids with limited palates, too. We've been sorta successful in introducing new things but they're still mighty picky. Hopefully they'll go for the stuff that other kids like too.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 3yo DC is getting a bit pickier lately but in general these go over well:

Quesadillas with quinoa rice, black beans, cheese, seasonings, red bell peppers
    Salsa (loves to dip stuff in salsa or tries to drink it!)
    French fries
    Mac n cheese -- annie's only
    Pizza
    Zucchini lightly steamed
    Pancakes
    Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Most soups
    Oatmeal with fruit and maple syrup
    All berries
    Watermelon
    Red bell peppers
    Oranges
    Ravioli
    Cheese cheese and more cheese
    Breaded chicken
    Avocados
    Hummus
    Crackers of almost any kind
    Almost anything in a tortilla
    Smoked salmon
    Bagel and cream cheese
    Peas
    Last edited by mackmama; 03-22-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5