Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default S/O of pet and income: update and backstory

OP, I am not a dog person and feel the same as you do about pet expenses. I would not take the dog in this case.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ha98ed14 View Post
    ETA: To the PP who said it sounds like I do not want a dog, you're right. I was not shopping for a dog, and if I don't take this one, I have no plans to seek out another one.
    This changes my answer. If you don't want a dog, you shouldn't take a dog. It will just lead to resentment. It's very sad that she wants to put the dog down, but the dog isn't your responsibility to save. You could help her look into rescues but as you said somewhere else, there is something about her personality that wouldn't take well to this. So I'm not sure there's a good solution here. But, as a dog lover, I still say that the dog isn't your responsibility to save.

Have you ever had a dog before? If you have, you know the extra work they require.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If it were me, I would go ahead and contact the rescue organizations and see what they say. If they will take him, I would take the dog and then if it really turns into a huge issue for you, I would then turn him over to the rescue group. You may end up loving having a dog around the house. But if you hate it, then you know you have a back up plan. If they won't take him, then if you really are vehement about not wanting a dog, then I would let your relative do what she feels she needs to do.

I do think that moving pets can be very stressful for them. We moved our cats and dog twice, from Iowa to California and then to Virginia. And I can honestly say that the cats especially were VERY VERY stressed and one cat was never really the same after moving.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

LBW is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you decide not to take the dog, please consider contacting a few local rescue groups. Do you need help finding contact info? If so, let us know. I'm sure we could help.

There's a good chance your aunt's vet won't put the dog down. (Or at the very least will try to talk her out of it.) I adopted a dog that was taken to the vet to be put down by his elderly owner last year. The owner was moving into an assisted living facility and didn't want to send the dog to a shelter. After speaking with the owner, the vet contacted the breed rescue, and the rescue immediately agreed to take him. I adopted him about a week later. He's the best, most wonderful dog ever, and I'm so thankful the vet made the call instead of just doing what the owner (originally) wanted.

IMG_0004.jpg
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

I am a major dog lover but I completely understand why you are torn. The only other point that I haven't seen raised that I think is even more important than money would be how this dog would fit into your family. Is it good with kids? Has your daughter spent time with it?
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I responded to your first post in a PM. Now, knowing the backstory, I think you should definitely think quite a bit about how this pup will fit into your family before you decide. If you daughter knows and loves the dog, you all are in agreement that you want this pup, and you have the means for basic care; certainly move forward with this "rescue". However, there is nothing wrong with not taking the pup if it is not right for your family. I am flabbergasted that someone would feel so nonchalant about a pet as to have a perfectly healthy animal "put down" simply because he was inconvenient. You are a wonderful person just by considering taking this dog into your home.... Hugs....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4