Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Update in #39! Help me see DH's side of this...

...or just validate that I'm right

We are re-doing our basement and getting a new couch. Our basement functions as our family room / TV room - we have a separate living room upstairs for having friends over, etc. The basement is more like a playroom - and it's where DH and I watch TV or movies at night. 90% of the time, it's just DH and I down there. My parents probably visit once every week or every other week (and leave right after dinner), so maybe 1-2x per month, there would be 4 people down there watching tv.

The wall length facing the TV is 128" long. I really want to get this Ikea couch - it is 126.5" long and fits perfectly in the space. It would create a nice U-shaped seating area, can fit lots of kids, etc.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79840631/

DH is completely against this couch. He thinks it will be "weird" and "awkward" and "uncomfortable" when my parents come over (maybe 1x per week, if that!) if my parents are each "lounging" on a chaise and he has to sit between them. He wants this couch:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39894150/

Which is still 111" inches long, has one less cushion and less seating, and is not short enough to accommodate another chair next to the sofa (have to work around pillars, etc).

I am currently sulking in another room because I am so irritated by his nonsensical opinion about it being uncomfortable to sit between two people on chaise lounges! He apparently has no problem sitting next to one person/in-law on a chaise lounge, but thinks that sitting between two people on chaise lounges is equivalent to being in a bed with them. I feel like I have to give in, and I'm pissed about it. Can anyone understand WTH he is talking about?
    Last edited by alootikki; 03-13-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

Tell DH to get over it.

I can see it if it was smaller and only three people could lounge and the straight part of the U was smaller. Just tell him to get down there first and claim one of the chaise lounges and you'll snuggle up next to him.

Seriously I'd picture one couple on each half of the U-shaped couch to watch TV. Or facing each other if the chaise parts are long enough.

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Haha! Yeah, he needs to get over it. Do your parents watch TV in the nude? I cannot fathom why it'd be awkward sitting next to my ILs to watch TV. And only a couple of times per month? Pffft. Sorry, Mr. Alootikki, you're wrong, she's right.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, it depends. If I was the one sitting in a chaise I could live with it. But... if I was stuck in the middle of two other grown people sitting on the chaises, I'd feel more than a little claustrophobic. I think the chaises on both ends just add to a certain bulky "closed in" feeling that would have me all crowded feeling. So, if I was trying to get the double chaise sofa because it fills the space better, I'd acknowledge his concerns, reassure him that he can always sit in "his spot" when your parents are over, and then make sure he gets that seat even if it means nicely asking a parent to sit elsewhere.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Would your parents want to lie down while watching TV? If so, I see your DH's point. Sorry. There are only two seats in the middle so he would be next to one of your parents reclining with the other one a cushion over also reclining. It would feel awkward to me to have two guests stretched out watching TV on either side of me.

But, I side with you if it would only be 1-2 times a month. In that case DH can just stay upstairs if it bothers him so much. Or run to claim a side first!

You should purchase the arrangement that best suits your household most of the time. You're saying it would be good for your immediate family and for kids coming over to play. So then I would go with the U-shaped couch.

army_mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    Tell DH to get over it.

I can see it if it was smaller and only three people could lounge and the straight part of the U was smaller. Just tell him to get down there first and claim one of the chaise lounges and you'll snuggle up next to him.

Seriously I'd picture one couple on each half of the U-shaped couch to watch TV. Or facing each other if the chaise parts are long enough.
    Roo (12/08)
    Bear (7/15)
    (10/16)

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Get the couch you want and add a chair of DH's choosing that he can sit in when your parents are over.

Would your parents want to lie down while watching TV? If so, I see your DH's point. Sorry.
    Yes, one of his "fears" is that they will be lying down rather than just leaning back with feet up. I don't necessarily agree, but even if that were the case, my point is that it would only happen 1-2x per month. And for 30-60 minutes at a time - my parents usually are in a hurry to rush back to their own house (another post, for another time ) after dinner anyway!

I should mention that culturally, it may be seen as rude for DH to be on one of the chaises instead of my parents - you would give the elder the option of sitting in the chaise.

Thanks for listening to me vent about this - DH is usually not involved in any home furnishing/decorating decisions, so I'm aggravated that he even has an opinion on this...
    DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I guess I find the first couch kind of weird too. The shaped is odd unless the room is perfectly shaped and I can't picture a coffee table or end tables to put drink/snacks on in close reach.

Its a lil too relaxed for my comfort level with my in laws. It just seems cuddly and ackward to sit in between two people that are laying down. The second couch reminds me more of the old L shaped sectionals of the 90's and doesn't scream lay down here like the other.

I also hate the idea my SO and I would end up on individual chaises during our together time but my primary love language is touch

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well...there IS this: (and it's 126.75 inches in length)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast