Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Those both look uncomfortable, for watching tv I prefer a much more "plush" type of sofa. I wonder if like others said, maybe a smaller couch and big comfy chair/ottoman might be better?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This is the kind of sectional we have- and we **love** it! http://www.costco.com/Cooperstone-Fa...100003620.html
    We don't use an ottoman b/c it feels too crowded. But, it works well when we have parties/ company.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think you should reconsider an L shaped sectional. We just got one and absolutely love it! There's a ton of seating options AND you still sort of have the chaise effect going on one side of the L.

We tried out several couch options before settling on our sectional. We discovered that it's really not all that comfy to be sitting on the end of the chaise longe side that doesn't have a back. It's just very awkward. I think you might not end up with as much seating area as you think if you go with either couch in your original post.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Those both look uncomfortable, for watching tv I prefer a much more "plush" type of sofa. I wonder if like others said, maybe a smaller couch and big comfy chair/ottoman might be better?
    I agree. The material and unplushness makes me think both choices are not comfortable. They both look more rigid and un-cushiony. If you are looking for a chaise that is comfortable, i recommend going for something significantly more plush and cushiony.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This is the kind of sectional we have- and we **love** it! http://www.costco.com/Cooperstone-Fa...100003620.htmlWe don't use an ottoman b/c it feels too crowded. But, it works well when we have parties/ company.

This or an L shaped with ottoman! The latter works for us.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alootikki View Post
    I think I am also feeling that DH is in some way insulting my parents by framing his entire argument around not wanting to sit between them. Irrational, but it's there.
    I understand why you might feel that it is in some way an insult to your parents. It is normal to feel sensitive when your parents are involved. But I would try and see it not so much as not wanting to sit between your parents but not wanting to sit in the middle of two grown people lying on chaise lounges in general. It is just that your parents are the grown people involved so it comes across as "I don't want to sit between your parents".

I really liked this option. You get your chaise without the crowded feeling that comes with two.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

You could get a long sofa and one or two footstools
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89840353/
    Which would allow you to stretch out like on a chaiselounge bit can be moved when your parents come over.
    I really like my in-laws but would also feel uncomfortable sitting between them in such a setting.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't like the double chaise either, it looks odd. I would try the L-shaped with a chair so that DH can sit all by himself.

Sorry, have to agree with your husband. It is an odd piece of furniture and I wouldn't want to sit on it with other people. We have a chaise sofa and matching unattached regular sofa. While everyone in immediate family wants to sit on the chaise to relax and watch TV, we don't sit on it when adults are over. And I wouldn't want to sit down the couch from my spouse and watch TV with each on their chaise. I would get the single chaise version and a chair or ottoman cube. I also can't imagine sitting watching TV with inlaws or my family, not what we do together so it would be even weirder to have the U shaped one.

I also agree that the dual chaise configuration is odd/uncomfortable. Although I totally get the economics of an Ikea piece, none of then look cozy/comfy for TV viewing in a basement rec room. The Costco options (esp the medium brown one) look a million times more functional and cozy for your setting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast