flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default 6 week postpartum check

I had to cancel my appointment yesterday. Really don't have the time to go today or tomorrow, although I guess I could if I really had to. I leave for two weeks on Monday and wondering how important the 6 week check is and if it can wait until 8 weeks. Everything feels fine where the stitches were, I am not bleeding anymore, no pain, etc.

Thanks!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'll be honest, I skipped my 6-week check after DS was born. I didn't mean to; I just never got around to scheduling it. From what a recall when my daughters were born, that check was pretty much "how are you feeling? Do you need birth control?" and not much else.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

They just check to make sure the cervix is closed. I don't think I went right at 6 weeks either.
    DD 9/10
    DS 8/12

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I did a "phone check" at that point instead bc my midwives were almost an hour away and I wasn't about to drive that with a newborn plus my other kids.

I scheduled regular well woman checks as needed though.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Katigre; 03-13-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I didn't do one either, I didn't realize I was supposed to schedule it. I went at some point while I was on maternity leave but definitely not at 6 weeks.
    DS age 9

Timely tread! I had my 6 week postpartum scheduled before I left the hospital , but office called me to reschedule it when we had the big bad storm on day of my appt. Just had mine and it was @ 8 weeks, no problems in pushing it back as long you're not bleeding or anything where you shouldn't.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had mine at 8-9+ weeks with DS2. We went on a month long trip when he was 4 weeks old, so didn't come back to town until 8-9 weeks PP. I think a lot of people are told to wait until they get the all-clear at that appointment before resuming "relations" and the doctor will typically bring up birth control options. If you are not in desperate need of approval for either I think there is no harm in waiting.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I skipped mine too, with baby 4. I actually meant to schedule it, but kept putting it off, and eventually never went. It worked out fine. However, with baby 3 (TMI), I mentioned at my 6 week check that I had had a "heavy" feeling in my perineal area, and it turned out that I had a hemotoma and had been slowly hemorrhaging. So, it turned out that it was a good thing that I went in that time. It is probably fine to skip in general.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior