mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Any ideas for costume for me and DH?

We are celebrating the holiday of Purim on Saturday night and Sunday. I am usually really on top of things with that but this year there is just so much going on in my life these days that I have barely had a chance to do anything but the bare minimum. Kids costumes are all taken care of because they needed them for carnivals in school earlier this week. I usually try to do a theme for the family and tie it together with the food gift boxes we give out but it just isn't happening this year. We are doing 80's theme food gifts (pacman and ghost cupcakes, Michael Jackson silver glove cookies, Rubik's cube cake and a can of New Coke) but my girls were not liking any of my costume ideas for them so I just told them to pick whatever they wanted and luckily their ideas were super easy to make costumes for. DS is pacman, DD1 a lollipop, DD2 a ballerina and DD3 a fairy.

I need something quick, easy and inexpensive I can throw together for me and DH. I don't care if it ties into anything but ideally we'd be something as a couple. I don't mind picking up an item or two at the party store but won't spend $60+ on the ready-made costumes.

Any ideas?
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

rachelh is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are doing a French theme for Purim. The costumes for DH and myself came together very easily - although we did have to buy a few things.

red skirt/pants
    Black pumps
    diamond patterned stockings
    striped black and white shirt (I am just wearing all black - stripes would not work for me )
    red neck scarfs
    black or red beret
    And of course a red manicure for myself and mustache for DH.

You can get most of this stuff off Amazon for fairly cheap but you would need to order today with Prime in order to get it in time.
    DD1 6/9/06
    DD2 3/19/10

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We do themes too (this year is cereal box characters). In the past DH and I have done Mickey and Minnie, Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head, Fred and Wilma etc. My friend was going to do Amy Farrah Fowler and Sheldon Cooper this year. One year we did video games and the adults were all Pac-man ghosts (which would work with your son's costume). What about Thing 1 and Thing 2? Mustard and Ketchup? Google easy couples costumes - some are great puns and the like.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    We do themes too (this year is cereal box characters). In the past DH and I have done Mickey and Minnie, Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head, Fred and Wilma etc. My friend was going to do Amy Farrah Fowler and Sheldon Cooper this year. One year we did video games and the adults were all Pac-man ghosts (which would work with your son's costume). What about Thing 1 and Thing 2? Mustard and Ketchup? Google easy couples costumes - some are great puns and the like.
    Would love to see pics of your costumes for this year! Already thinking about next purim
    DD1 6/9/06
    DD2 3/19/10

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

They are still very much a work in progress... I just hope I can finish in time!

Currently, DH is Tony the Tiger and I am the Cheerios honey bee (8.5 months pregnant didn't leave me too many options). The kids are Lucky the Leprachaun (raided the St. Paddy's stuff at the dollar store), Cap'n Crunch and Toucan Sam. The grandparents play along too, though not quite as true to the theme, so we have the Quaker Oat guy and Froot Loops on one side and the Trix Bunny and President's Choice on the other (not sure if that is a US brand, but it is the main house brand at a huge grocery chain in Canada).

The only upside is that the mishloach manot are EASY (small packs of cereal and milk mostly).

The idea came from here: http://www.backpackwithbrock.com/blo...-of-halloween/

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

They are still very much a work in progress... I just hope I can finish in time!

Currently, DH is Tony the Tiger and I am the Cheerios honey bee (8.5 months pregnant didn't leave me too many options). The kids are Lucky the Leprachaun (raided the St. Paddy's stuff at the dollar store), Cap'n Crunch and Toucan Sam. The grandparents play along too, though not quite as true to the theme, so we have the Quaker Oat guy and Froot Loops on one side and the Trix Bunny and President's Choice on the other (not sure if that is a US brand, but it is the main house brand at a huge grocery chain in Canada).

The only upside is that the mishloach manot are EASY (small packs of cereal and milk mostly).

So cute! Will check out the link tonight - for some reason it is blocked at work. The past few years I have gone crazy with the costumes - Candyland characters, oompa loompas, etc. I decided this year I am doing something "easy" so while the costumes are not hard, the kids costumes are still not made! They are being poodles - I found a great DIY idea for these. But I went way overboard with the food - giving out homemade French macarons, madeleines, and decorated sugar cookies - needless to say, I haven't slept much this week!
    DD1 6/9/06
    DD2 3/19/10

wendibird22 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Bob the Builder and Wendy (just need construction hats, jeans, plaid shirt)
    Mario and Luigi or Mario and Princess
    Beatlejuice and bride
    Any 80s movie couple (Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles, Dirty Dancing, etc)
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That is such a cute idea! Will have to keep that in mind for next year. The only problem is DH loves to get super creative with mishloach manot and he will find a way to construct the cereals out of candy or baked goods. It's fun but time-consuming.

I had suggested ketchup and mustard to DH last week but he didn't like it. We did Mr and Mrs Potato Head also a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rachelh View Post
    So cute! Will check out the link tonight - for some reason it is blocked at work. The past few years I have gone crazy with the costumes - Candyland characters, oompa loompas, etc. I decided this year I am doing something "easy" so while the costumes are not hard, the kids costumes are still not made! They are being poodles - I found a great DIY idea for these. But I went way overboard with the food - giving out homemade French macarons, madeleines, and decorated sugar cookies - needless to say, I haven't slept much this week!
    I wanted to do candyland characters this year but the rest of the family vetoed it. I thought it could be super cute and the mishloach manot would be so easy. Oh well...Someone here did oompa loompas a few years ago. It is such a cute idea.

In the past we've done really creative mishloach manot - candy sushi, a "drinks" theme, muppets stuff. DH and I do it together and have fun with it. Same here with tons of baking this year and no sleep. None of the stuff we are doing is super hard, but still takes time to get all the baking done and it's not like it can be done weeks in advance. We leave for Israel for a pilot trip in a week so my mind has just not been focused on Purim. I usually have fun making costumes but just don't have the energy this year. Believe it or not, I am already stressing about pesach because I need to start getting organized before we leave for the trip as we return just over a week before that starts. Crazy, I know!

The French idea could work. Most of that type of stuff on Amazon here is not cheap and shipping would not happen in a day. I might just have to see what they have at the local party store and hope that with the hour I have to dedicate to that tomorrow, I can cobble something together. DH now says maybe we can try to be mariachi singers. He thinks he can throw something together from his current clothes. Just needs a hat and a red scarf. I'll have to see what I have that could work and how much the hats are.

Thanks again both of you for the ideas. Hopefully something will inspire me within the next day
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am loving this thread . . . DH and I will have to start dealing with this next year (we plan to affiliate in the next 12 months or so in order to get The Biscuit converted before pre-K so that he can start Sunday school with his class).

Please post photos!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just saw a cute costume idea on Pinterest. Your husband can go as Paul Bunyan and you can go as Babe the Blue Ox.

If you search, Paul Bunyan and Babe costumes, you can find lots of pictures.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie