Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Would I get a ticket if

I passed a school bus that was stopped but not flashing lights and did not have the stop sign opened out?
    Can a school bus driver report me?!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No, if they don't have the stop sign out and the lights aren't on they are probably sitting for some reason and you can pass. Around here, some will let parents pass them to help with traffic and others might need to stop to deal with students or something.

I'm sure some states may be different, but as far as I know the lights have to be flashing and/or sign out. Otherwise busses could never be passed, and that doesn't make sense.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    No, if they don't have the stop sign out and the lights aren't on they are probably sitting for some reason and you can pass. Around here, some will let parents pass them to help with traffic and others might need to stop to deal with students or something.
    The same here where we are. There is a road near our school where traffic backs up behind the bus (multiple stops plus all that pick-up traffic leaving the school) and the bus always pulls over half way down that road allowing cars to pass.

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you, all. I was a little worried - I am a little paranoid about school buses, full of kids, and the types of things that i can imagine could happen! The school bus stopped on the street and there were no lights flasing, and the stop sign was not opened. But the thing is as I was slowly (small lane/street) passing the school bus when I checked back in the rear view, the stop sign was closing. I am pretty sure that it was not opened when I started to pass, and I am hoping the school bus driver noted it too. but it made me think that if he thought he had opened it before I passed him, then he would think I was doing something wrong, and wondered if could he report me!!