Default Help me pick a new kitchen table set!

DH has finally agreed to let me upgrade from the free 40-50 year old heavily grained oak pedestal table set (with thick heavy silhouettes, not elegant at all) that his parents gave us about 10 years ago when they upgraded furniture. I hate this set and am dying to buy a new kitchen table. Yet I am not seeing anything I like on pinterest (or even from a plain Google image search) and would love to hear suggestions. Do you have a set you love?

I like medium to dark wood farmhouse tables, but that style doesn't fit well with our suburban builder's grade tract home. The kitchen nook is literally part of the kitchen so it has to complement that so I can't go with anything too dramatically different. We have the 1990s era golden oak kitchen cabinets. These are topped with cream/off-white tile (with brown grout!) counters. Yes, I know, it's very outdated, but it's functional and we don't plan to invest any more money in this house (its market value is still several hundred thousand dollars below what we paid in 2005 at the height of the market). This is not my kitchen but the coloring is similar:

I feel like I should try to match it BUT I don't like the country style kitchen tables (all white with wood accents). I don't like shabby chic or distressed furniture. I don't like super modern stuff or the Scandinavian Designs light-colored wood style furniture. I usually like more traditional furniture, but not overly embellished/ornate. I also usually like mahogany, dark cherry, or darker colors, which just don't match with this kind of kitchen.

Help!

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Are you opposed to a painted table? My sister has a black painted table that looks really good with her oak kitchen. You could get a table in the sillouette you like for a good price from an unfinished furniture store and they can custom paint it pretty much any color you would like.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This would be in the breakfast nook? (So, not a formal dining table)? I think you should go the "not matching on purpose" route - I can't imagine anything that actually matches would look any better than what you currently have, unless you are open to all white which it doesn't sound like you are.

What about glass? Something retro (even in a bright funky color, or with brightly colored chairs)?
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/furnit...-table/s569585
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/halo-g...ss-top/s173851
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/jensen...-table/s532282