Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks everyone! We used hydrogen peroxide this morning and I was amazed at all the gunk that came out. Will continue to do that every few days.

Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
    Thanks everyone! We used hydrogen peroxide this morning and I was amazed at all the gunk that came out. Will continue to do that every few days.

Ann
    Be careful not to do it too often! I would think you should try to do it again tomorrow, get the ears less gunky, and then maybe once a week or even less for maintenance. I think if you do it too often it can irritate the ear.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm doing mineral oil in the kids ears to minimize the wax build up. They and DH have this thick maple syrup like ear wax that blocks their entire ear drums over time. For DS I've done irrigation with a syringe, which is the same as what the Dr does (and she suggested).

I did irrigation with water and with peroxide for myself. However I ended up getting a weird infection on my eardrums. It looked like excema bumps up close (ENT took a picture with her scope) and I had a lot of puss in my ears. I had significant hearing loss for 6 months and it was not fun. Luckily it cleared right up with antibiotic and steroid drops. But the 2 types of bacteria in the culture were just regular germs found in water. Not sure its connected but I'm just hesitant to do irrigation at this point unless I can really see what's going on.

I actually just got an Otoscope so I can see when the kids are having wax buildup and use a drop of oil every few days to keep it under control. That was what my ENT suggested for all of us. No Qtips.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BayGirl2 View Post
    No Qtips.
    Qtips are evil. That was drummed into me over 2 semesters from audiology professors. Dh still uses them.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I know I know.
    But i find them so so tempting still
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BayGirl2 View Post
    I know I know.
    But i find them so so tempting still
    Me too!
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2