Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How not to nurse to sleep for nap ?

I know nursing to sleep is not a bad thing. But lately, I have came to the point of having trouble keeping up with this. I'm feeling really exhausted and stressed that I feel like I get no break and not sure how to get away from this habit. DS is 5 months now and for the past 5 months we have been nursing to sleep both naps and nights.
    I don't mind nursing him to sleep before bed time and when he wakes up once or twice to nurse at night, but naps, he is still taking 4 naps and as soon as I pull that nipple out, he will be awake and fussing. It used to be that he was able to soothe himself back to sleep but lately, he seemed to demand that I nursed him back to sleep for nap. He's still taking the 30-45 minutes naps.

I usually nurse him in his room, which is dark and quiet, but he will fall asleep after eating for 5 minutes or so and that's when I think he has started to associate nursing with sleeping, so I usually put him down on his crib, he'll be awake and want to nurse some more. I know at 5 months, he no longer needs to feed that often like he used to when he was newborn, except for growth spurts period I believe. He's eating every 2 hours at day time and EBF and won't take pacifier.
    Some suggested that I nurse him at a bright place when he's awake and then play, then routine before nap. Our routine now is nursing, but I'm trying to change that for nap time. He's a bit distracted now at 5 months and will pull off and on. If I nurse him at a dark place, he will just fall asleep.
    Sorry it's a bit lengthy and I'm just exhausted and not sure how to get away from nursing to sleep for nap
    Last edited by babyfiorina1; 03-17-2014 at 03:50 PM.