Default When you buy new jeans...

How hard should it be for you to get into them? I'm finally getting around to updating my jeans wardrobe and want much more stylish looks. I've so far gotten to try on a few Lucky brand and express. I went to Buckle and tried a few of their brand but the salespeople there annoy the crap out of me so I left. I've found several styles that I like and I know denim all stretches out to some degree (tho hopefully none so badly as my gap and BR denim does now!!) but how tight do you tend to buy for everyday jeans? I'm going for form fitting but not super skinny look. I know I need to buy tighter than I'm used to doing- I used to buy at that perfect fit but they stretch out too much. Everyplace I've tried, when I listen to the fit advice of the salesgirl (and go by how I want them to look on my butt!) I end up having to squirm them up over my hips and thighs quite a bit and do a fair amout of "adjusting" (pull up the back waistband, settle on my hips better,e tc) before I zip, if that makes sense? I'm not talking lie on the bed suck it all in and don't breathe but not the easy pull m on and go, Kwim? Is that pretty typical? I just want to make sure I'm not buying something too tight.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I wear boyfriend style and no wiggling to get them on. They are every day and comfy. They are Jessie from AG (thanks BBB)
    http://www.amazon.com/AG-Adriano-Gol.../dp/B006Q7I79C
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Even with my skinnies I don't have a problem getting into them, but do have to wiggle quite a bit to get them back off, which always amuses DH!

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think when trying on jeans they ought to be snug, but not uncomfortably tight. They should never give you a muffin top, and you shouldn't have to suck in your belly much to get them buttoned. But I think the need for some "adjustment" to get everything in place is normal.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My only good jeans that I have to wiggle a bit to get into are my Hudson's. Those stretch way more than my others and with my first pair I didn't listen to the saleslady's advice to size down and then had saggy bottom by afternoon so they next pair I did go down a size and they fit great for a couple of wears. None of my others require wiggling, but they don't have as much give to the fabric (AG, Citizen of Humanity). None of my better jeans stretch like Gap - those are totally ridiculous. I put on an older pair this weekend that fit perfectly when I pulled them on and by 3 pm I had diaper butt and was pulling them up constantly. So annoying - it reminded me why I started buying better denim a year or so back.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I return jeans if they don't feel comfortable on the first wear. I'm not into super tight skinny jeans - I like loose bootcut and straight leg types. I do have a bootcut one that is a bit tighter than the rest but still comfortable enough. I hate buying jeans in B&M stores. I'd recommend you order from zappos, piperlime or amazon where you can try them on at home and return for free.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it depends on the brand. For instance, I find that Joe's Jeans and Hudsons tend to stretch out more. They feel tight at first, but then by the end of the day, I find my jeans drooping and sagging in the crotch. To the point where I have to actually pull them up periodically throughout the day. I do think with a lot of denim brands, you need to go tighter than you normally would, simply because they stretch quite a bit. I've had jeans that were a tad too tight for comfort end up being the right size after wearing for a day. I think if it is just fitting when you try it on, it may be too loose after you end up wearing them.
    Last edited by MMMommy; 03-18-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I hate this stretching feature! Maybe I just need to start wearing belts.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was having the exact same issue today. I was trying on curvy fit jeans in the Loft outlet and trying to decide between 2 sizes. The larger I liked the way it was, the smaller felt snug. But if they stretched I would probably want the smaller. Then there is whether or not the shrink. It was too mind boggling for me today and I left with nothing. I should have just taken them both, worn them around the house each for an afternoon, and then decided. Sigh. I also feel like I am getting old or something and just don't want my clothes as tight as the younger set seems to.

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    I think it depends on the brand. For instance, I find that Joe's Jeans and Hudsons tend to stretch out more. They feel tight at first, but then by the end of the day, I find my jeans drooping and sagging in the crotch. To the point where I have to actually pull them up periodically throughout the day. I do think with a lot of denim brands, you need to go tighter than you normally would, simply because they stretch quite a bit. I've had jeans that were a tad too tight for comfort end up being the right size after wearing for a day. I think if it is just fitting when you try it on, it may be too loose after you end up wearing them.
    Agreed. I generally stick to jeans that have no more than 1% spandex when I can find them. If they fit when I try them on, they will still fit at the end of the day. I have 7famk skinny jeans and I probably bought a size or two too big and should've sized down because of the stretch. I wear a belt you cannot see to keep them up. Easy solution, but frustrating the same.