ma912 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Swaddle blanket question

My son is 11 weeks and needs to be swaddled at night. We've just gotten to 12 hours of sleep each night but twice he's woken up because he broke out of his Miracle Blanket... last night I came in to find it wrapped around his head. He's a tall boy so the foot pouch on the MB doesn't fit anymore which is why he has been able to loosen it enough to get free. Since he hasn't been using the foot pouch, we have been putting him in a fleece sleepsack (under the MB) for warmth.

So... I am trying to figure out what to do here. He needs to be swaddled. He's tall. He's strong. He needs something for added warmth. The Halo sleepsack with swaddler won't work... I'm certain he could break free of those velcro flaps. Any ideas? I could also just keep trying with the MB to make it work... I was pretty freaked out to find it over his face though!

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

At 11 weeks I would sadly give up the swaddle. He will be rolling soon enough and by then the swaddle does more harm than good I am big on swaddling, so am always sad to see it go.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

ma912 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

His arms are still waking him up... he needs *something* to keep them down. You're right that we might be close to giving it up (although my DD went to about 6 mos), so perhaps making the MB work is the best option.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would just try to find a large, thin blanket to swaddle him in. We swaddled DS to almost a year because he just slept better that way. And even once he could roll over he never rolled in his sleep.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Swaddle blanket question

I used a 45x45 (might've been 42x42) piece of micro fleece from joann fabrics that I got cut. Ds3 was swaddled till EIGHT months and never outgrew this. I could swaddle and he'd roll around and get legs undone but rarely his arms!

And like pp, he rarely rolled in his sleep even after he was moving around.

I'm convinced because of swaddling I have awesome sleepers, at 6/8/10y they still sleep 7p-7a!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)