Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The most important thing to bring with you for a trip to the city is a good attitude. Sounds like you two have a great one, enjoy!! ( and remember the characters in times square are not affiliated with anyone and can be pushy)
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Giantbear View Post
    The most important thing to bring with you for a trip to the city is a good attitude. Sounds like you two have a great one, enjoy!! ( and remember the characters in times square are not affiliated with anyone and can be pushy)

Oh yes - totally forgot about the costumed dudes in Times Square. Oh ick.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been to NYC a few times and my MIL is a native New Yorker. We are ready and excited!
    Thanks for all your insight.
    Do you think I need a reservation at Serendipity for lunch on Friday? I hesitate because I'm not sure exactly what time we would get there but I'll do it if it means avoiding a 2 hour wait.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I haven't taken the kids to NYC yet, but when I do, I will be taking them to the Columbia campus in Morningside Heights and to Cafe Lalo on the UWS which was one of my favorite spots when I lived there. I think you should be able to get into Serendipity during their off hours like mid-afternoon (3ish)? Maybe call and ask them what their off hours are?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Times Square is a must do, imo. Mostly b/c I love pointing it out in countless tv shows and movies to ds and reminding him that we were there. Making those sorts of connections was the purpose of our trip. We had a whirlwind but also some good down time.

I too think your Friday is really tight. There can be a long line to go to the Top of The Rock- it may not be at all doable for your schedule.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

IMO, the schedule sounds a little tight. I get wanting to see/do a lot, but I think it might be too ambitious of an agenda.

So maybe....
    Friday
    Arrive Grand Central @11:30, meet at clock.

Walk to hotel- MUSE hotel 46th between 6th and 7th

Lunch: Serendipity3, 60th between 2nd and 3rd

After: Dylan’s Candy Bar (next to Serendipity)

Rockefeller Center- skating? (maybe this OR Top of the Rock...not both)

Top of the Rock @ Rockefeller Center $14/each (military/senior rate)

visit American Girl Place (5th avenue between 50th and 51st on east side of Rockefeller Center)

Dinner: 5:45 reservations @ Ruby Foo’s Restaurant, Broadway between 49th and 50th

Theater: 8:00 Tickets to see Cinderella at Broadway and 53rd
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You definitely need a reservation for Serendipity. They used to only take them for large groups though maybe that has changed. I don't think you will be able to fit everything in before dinner on Friday. I would plan on lunch at 12:45-1:00 then head to American Girl if that's a priority then see how much time you have left.

The priority for Friday is Serendipity, Top of the Rock, and then dinner/Cinderella. We get into NYC at 11:30 and we can just drop our stuff at the hotel and head right to lunch- I think we could be at lunch by 1:00. Then we can do Top of the Rock right after depending on time and then we don't have anything else until 5:45 (dinner). I can cut ice skating as we have done that a ton where we live and MIL and I don't skate (just DD). AG is not a priority at all, just something DD would enjoy.
    I called Serendipity and they don't have any lunch reservations on Friday available and she estimated it would be a 1-1.5 hour wait. So, we could take a cab right there from Grand Central (stopping at the hotel to drop our bags), put our name on the list, (so name on list by noon) and go to Dylan's Candy Bar while we wait.... hmm.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Friday
    Arrive Grand Central @11:30, meet at clock. IF YOU ARE TAKING THE BUS, ARE YOU SURE YOU ARE ARRIVING TO GC? I WOULD THINK PORT AUTHORITY.

Walk to hotel- MUSE hotel 46th between 6th and 7th

Lunch: Serendipity3, 60th between 2nd and 3rd MAKE A RESERVATION IF YOU CAN. IT IS A LOT OF FOOD. IF YOU CAN'T YOU CAN ALWAYS GO TO DYLAN'S WHILE WAITING FOR YOUR TABLE

After: Dylan’s Candy Bar (next to Serendipity)

Rockefeller Center- skating? I AGREE WITH PREVIOUS PERSON THAT I WOULD SKIP SKATING, AND PROBABLY ONLY DO TOP OF THE ROCK

Top of the Rock @ Rockefeller Center $14/each (military/senior rate)

visit American Girl Place (5th avenue between 50th and 51st on east side of Rockefeller Center)

Dinner: 5:45 reservations @ Ruby Foo’s Restaurant, Broadway between 49th and 50th THIS WILL BE A LOT OF FOOD ALONG WITH SERENDIPITY FOR LUNCH ESPECIALLY WITH SUCH AN EARLY DINNER

Theater: 8:00 Tickets to see Cinderella at Broadway and 53rd

Saturday
    Breakfast: taxi to Ess-A-Bagel 3rd between 50th and 51st, then walk to the subway station at 51st and Lexington. 30 minute subway ride. We should plan to get on the subway around 8:30 so try to leave hotel by 8. I WOULD CHOOSE A PLACE NEAR YOUR HOTEL FOR BREAKFAST. ESS-A-BAGEL IS NOT WORTH ALL OF THAT. YOU CAN TAKE THE SUBWAY DOWN FROM THE WEST SIDE

Statue of Liberty: 10am reserved tickets

Take subway- Green Line to Bowling Green stop, walk to Ferry port security area. (use directions)

Lunch/snack on the island

Possible afternoon activities, dependent on return time from SOL
    Times Square/FAO Schwarz (5th avenue @ 58th) DEFINITELY DO, BUT ALSO NEAR ROCKEFELLER CENTER SO MAY MAKE SENSE TO DO AFTER SERENDIPITY
    American History Museum- free for military -Central Park West @ 79th (could do Sunday morning?) I LIKE THE NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM AND MY 3 AND 6 YEAR OLD NIECES LIKE IT TOO

Dinner: Shake Shack 8th between 43rd and 44th

Show: 7 pm New Victory Theater, 42nd between 7th and 8th, show “Knee Deep” tickets. Show is about an hour.

Dessert: Waffels and Dinges Truck, Broadway @ 35th

Sunday
    Breakfast: Eileen’s Stardust Diner- Broadway between 50th and 51st opens 7am GREAT CHOICE - A LOT OF FUN

Macy’s flower show opens at Herald Square Macy’s- 34th between 6th and 7th (opens 11 am) I WOULD PROBABLY JUST HANG OUT AND SOAK UP NYC INSTEAD. POSSIBLY GO TO CENTRAL PARK FROM EILEENS. IT IS AN EASY WALK INTO THE PARK FROM THERE

Museum of Nat. History if haven’t been (opens 10 am)

Back at Grand Central @ 1pm to catch coach home. AGAIN, ARE YOU SURE YOU ARRIVE TO GC?

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy it!

Thanks PhillyMom! I definitely arrive into Grand Central. It is a private bus service (not Greyhound) that actually drops us at the Yale Club on Vanderbilt adjacent to GCS. Then My MIL is flying into NYC (I think LaGuardia but I'm not sure) and is taking a bus to GCS to meet us there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast