Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    Times Square and FAO Schwarz aren't near each other really. Did you mean TRU? It's a haul from Times Square up to FAO, but maybe you were planning on a cab?
    That's another thing I noticed now that you've pointed it out - Times Square is 7th Avenue & 42nd thru 46th, while FAO is 5th & 58th. And don't forget that avenue blocks are pretty long! PLUS there are all the "new" pedestrian walkways that tie up traffic in Midtown ... and tourists who don't know how to walk ... and ... you'd be better off figuring out which one you'd rather do instead of trying to get from TS to FAO - AND back! - so you can get to the New Victory! (I used to pass it every day on my way to work. I guess you COULD take the Times Square Shuttle/"S" train to Grand Central, then switch to the 6 train uptown to 59th St. The Shuttle lets you out on the corner of 7th & 43rd which is right outside the New Victory Theatre.)

TRU is in Times Square; FAO is not.

FAO is right across from the Plaza Hotel, which my brother & I pointed out to DD at Christmas. (DD is a big Eloise fan.)
    TRU, on the other hand, is right near ABC studios and the Mariott Marquis.

I'd also recommend HopStop for figuring out "point A to point B" - you can even have directions sent to your phone as text messages. (I favor texts over e-mails on a smartphone due to data service irregularities underground.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ess-A-Bagel is NOT the best bagel in the city, too doughy for me.
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Giantbear View Post
    Ess-A-Bagel is NOT the best bagel in the city, too doughy for me.
    ITA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hi guys,
    Thanks so much for all the input and advice. We actually had the trip this past weekend and got back today (didn't want to say exactly when because who knows who might be reading this...). It went great! We really lucked out and got almost everything on our list done.
    Friday we arrived and all got in a cab. I got out at 46th and walked a half block to the hotel while MIL and DD went on to Serendipity. It was a gorgeous spring day and I dropped the luggage at the hotel (room not yet ready) and walked about 25 minutes to Serendipity and we were seated upon my arrival (so only about a 20 minute total wait time!). Got 2 entrees for the 3 of us to share and then shared a frozen hot chocolate . Then we walked over to FAO Schwarz for a bit. Stopped for a peek inside St. Patrick's Cathedral (can't really appreciate this as it's undergoing a major restoration).Then we went to Top of the Rock and with the timed tickets it was going to be cutting it close for our dinner reservations so we bought tickets for Sunday morning instead. We walked around Rockefeller Center for a little bit and then over to hotel to check in. The room was wonderful, we were upgraded to a larger room on a higher floor and it was very nice. We rested for a bit and then headed over to Times Square to walk around and then headed to Ruby Foo's for dinner. Ruby Foo's is more like a PF Chang's but it was great for DD and she loved her pad thai dinner. After that we had some extra time before the show so we stopped in the Hershey Store and M&M world which DD loved. Stopped for dessert at a Crumbs bake shop and then onto Cinderella. Cinderella was fabulous!! It was perfect for DD's age. It wasn't MY favorite show but it was a perfect first show, very well-cast, and Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher were wonderful. We got out around 10:30 and walked back to the hotel and crashed.

Our hotel (The Muse) was WONDERFUL. When I made the reservation I included a note that it was my DD's first NYC trip. I think this is why we were upgraded but also they left us a spread of mini cupcakes, bottled water, and a chocolate taxi cab with chocolate pretzel sticks sticking out of it and a personal note to us wishing us a great trip to NY. What a nice touch!

Saturday we woke up and were out the door at 7:30. Took a taxi to Ess-A-Bagel which was good but not great IMO. Then onto the subway down to Battery Park for the SOL. We actually got there about 9:10 for our 10:00 reservation so we got on the earlier (first of the day!) ferry over to Liberty Island. Walked around the base and pedestal of the SOL and then over to Ellis Island. Very nice but at this point DD started getting tired of the museum so we took a lunch break. What wasn't communicated to us was that Ellis Island is still very damaged from Hurricane Sandy- much of the museum is closed, including the cafeteria. But, you can't bring any of your own food over so all they had for the entire island of people was one little food cart. Pretty poor planning on that end. We got sandwiches and chips and had a quick mediocre lunch and then saw the Ellis Island movie and then decided to head back to NYC. Then we took the subway up to 86th on the east side and walked along Central Park- it was a beautiful warm (60 degrees and sunny!!) spring day. DD played in the Ancient playground next to the Met and we decided to pop in and take a quick look. Got there in time for the beginning of the highlights tour which we started but it was apparent quickly that it would be too grown-up for DD to enjoy so we left and just looked around the Ancient Egypt gallery at the mummies, hieroglyphics, etc. and then left the Met and walked some more in Central Park. Then we took a cab to the Shake Shack and had a super yummy dinner (their burgers are GREAT!). Afterwards, we headed around the corner to the New Victory theater where a friend got us free tickets to see the show "knee deep". It was okay, not great, but free and kid-friendly. Then we walked to Herald Square for dessert at the Wafels & Dinges cabana- super yummy. There were tables all in Herald Square and no cars allowed so it was nice. Then we popped into Macy's right there to use the restroom and all the flowers for the flower show (opening the next day-today) were set up and so we looked around for a bit. Then back to the hotel where we crashed again. We were gone for 14 straight hours on Saturday!

This morning (Sunday) we had a more leisurely morning and left the hotel at 8:30 (checked out of the room and stored our luggage with the bellman). Walked to Rockefeller Center for Top of the Rock and got up with no wait and barely any people right at 9. Great view but cold! Then we left TOR and walked over to Ellen's Stardust Diner and got a table right away with no wait! It was a super fun breakfast experience for DD with the singing. Then we walked back over to Rockefeller Center and went to the American Girl store and the Lego store. Then we took a cab back to the hotel, picked up our luggage and walked over to Grand Central. Hopped on the bus and 6 hours later we are home .

DD had a great time and I appreciate all your insight that helped me refine our itinerary! Can't wait to go back hopefully next year!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

glad you had a good time
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hooray! So happy your weekend was enjoyable ... and that the weather cooperated. It's been moody lately.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We did my dd's first NYC trio a few weeks ago. We stayed a block from the American girl store and that was a favorite, as well as the Today show (we lucked into a conversation with Matt lauer). We also loved Cinderella. We ate at Shake Shack as well as some great other restaurants (Balthazar and Craft being my two most loved). We spent the only warm day in Central Park,mand also went to the history museum (dd just finished a unit in native Americans so that exhibit was awesome for her). I live NYC, but things took longer and were more daunting with a child than I had remembered from my singleton days.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4