Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

She sounds lovely. I loved the following 2 books for "training" - they aren't training books but they are more a combo science/training/behavior/how to understand your dog books that are pretty fun to read (ignore the author's flaunting of her PhD). They're filled with wonderful info about communicating effectively with your dog and have enough info to glean basic training methods from. I also think they're GREAT reads for dog bite prevention even though they aren't advertised as such. Just knowing how to read/respond/interact with a dog is huge - and these are things you should teach your children. I was doubtful I'd get much out of these books, as I was already pretty dog saavy....but I learned SO MUCH useful info as well as learned about some of my mis-information. I was once able to get 3 shy (and big! bull terriers and a boxer) dogs to come to me on a busy street and get them in the car and back to their owner (all without treats and only one had a collar for me to hold onto so the others were herded into the car without anything to grab onto at all) who was surprised I was able to even touch them, just by using the knowledge I acquired from these books.

Congratulations and have fun watching her personality emerge!

http://www.amazon.com/Other-End-Leas...icia+mcconnell
    http://www.amazon.com/Love-Dog-Under...icia+mcconnell
    Last edited by twowhat?; 03-22-2014 at 12:55 PM.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    How would a rescue know about a dog's history? Many rescues here pull from city shelters. The dogs are found on the street or turned in with no backstory.
    Owner turn ins. The foster I have now, for instance, I met at its original home. I had a chance to question the previous owners extensively. Now, obviously, thats not always the case, (and owners do lie) but it does happen more than one might think.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Got her today! She is good. She laid in her crate while we ate. Needs to learn commands. So far so good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2