Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Talk to me about nursing clothes!

I had a chance to nurse DD only twice while still in the NICU, then pumped for 6ish weeks but she had terrible milk intolerances and ended up on the medical hypoallergenic formula so I stopped. So I am new to breastfeeding but am planning to nurse her brother, hopefully for at least a year.. Fingers crossed! Anyways, i remember having two nursing bras but they kept giving me terrible clogged ducts and I just ended up wearing a regular spots bra, but I only pumped at home or hospital. How do you ladies do it out there in public, and later when the milk supply is well established? I have a couple sleep nursing bras from Target and two soft ones for daytime that should stretch enough for when milk comes in. Nothing fancy though. Also picked up a nursing tank from T with a built in bra (Bravado knock off) and a cute top from BRU to wear with a bra. I suppose I need a couple more plain tanks? I suppose I could wear any button down top with a nursing bra while out and about, I also looked at the henley style tanks and tees, they seem perfect for access. I cannot imagine wearing a tank and a top over it in our 90 degree summer! I never had any leakage issues while pumping so hoping it will be the same. TIA !
    My sweet and curly haired DD 4
    ...and expecting someone new mid April 2014

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used nursing tanks for a year last time, just the regular kind with the shelf bra, but in retrospect I should have used something more supportive. So this time I have 2 nursing bras with more support that I've purchased. Amazon has a surprisingly good selection, as does Nordstrom, and they both have free ship/free returns. I'll probably buy another few once everything is established and my size stabilizes after the baby is born.

I don't mind wearing tanks underneath clothes, so I might buy something like this to keep me covered in public: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LULO96/...1WNFP5QC&psc=1 to wear with my nursing bra. I have decided I don't love the tanks cause I hate pulling that over my head, and like I said, not the same amount of support. But if you are smaller busted they may be OK.

They also make a variety of "nursing tops" that have access for nursing without pulling up the bottom. I may decide to try a few of those this summer, but I don't think that's practical for 24/7/365 wear as they are pricey and the styles are pretty limited. Here are some examples: http://www.figure8maternity.com/view...y=nursing-tops I didn't have anything like that last time, though, so I can't vouch for their convenience.

For pumping, I would just flip down both sides of the bra or tank, and then zip on this thing: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes-...reast+pump+bra

I liked nursing tanks when I nurses DD years ago. I don't like pulling my shirts up and exposing my backfat/muffin top. Granted they weren't the prettiest of clothes, but I layered my bravado tanks with button up shirts or light cardigans (dd was born in summer).

This time around, I plan to use the same tanks and I do have a maternity dress that the sales girl pointed out I could wear to nurse in post partum. Only thing is, it's a v neck and my nursing bras come up higher. So I may need to search for a nursing bra that comes down into a lower v cut in the front. I actually would like more dresses like this so I don't feel so frumpy in nursing tanks. But it may be just what I paired the tanks with last time.

I like these bras from Target, because I just truly hate underwire bras: http://www.target.com/p/basics-women...=nursing%20bra They're fairly inexpensive and I find them supportive enough.

And then I wear a pull-down nursing tank from Motherhood (I have 6 or 7 of these in various colors): http://www.motherhood.com/Product.as...tegory_Id=MC29

And then I wear whatever shirt (not nursing specific) that I want. Sometimes the tanks peek out, sometimes they don't, so depending on the neckline of the top I'm wearing I try to coordinate the colors.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Get a nursing nightgown too and don't worry too much about bras and clothes yet. You'll spend much of the first couple weeks at home anyway. I like to wear either a sleep nursing bra under a night gown or a Bravado nursing tank and shorts at home. Some women like to nurse over their shirts and some pull up the bottom (KWIM?) so it takes a little practice to figure out what you like. Personally I hate having the extra fabric over baby so I do wear shirts that either unbutton or just stretch at the neckline. Do have some nursing pads on hand too in case you need them. Bamboobies are the BEST.
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

HipMama is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I've successfully nursed 2 kids for 2+ Years and my third is almost at the year mark now. Forget nursing clothes. Seriously. Nursing tanks are great for around the house. They are comfy and easy. For out and about, I just wear a regular shelf tank (I get the 2 packs from Costco for like $8) underneath a regular shirt. I do wear a nursing bra. When baby is hungry I just unclasp my bra, pull up my top shirt and pull down the tank and bra flap. Easy peasy. Discreet too as the top shirt covers up the top of my boob and the tank top keeps my belly covered.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I nursed both DDs for 21 mos each and other than a few nursing bras I didn't buy any special nursing clothes. Layered tops, deep vnecks, and button downs worked fine. My fav nursing bras are Anita.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HipMama View Post
    I've successfully nursed 2 kids for 2+ Years and my third is almost at the year mark now. Forget nursing clothes. Seriously. Nursing tanks are great for around the house. They are comfy and easy. For out and about, I just wear a regular shelf tank (I get the 2 packs from Costco for like $8) underneath a regular shirt. I do wear a nursing bra. When baby is hungry I just unclasp my bra, pull up my top shirt and pull down the tank and bra flap. Easy peasy. Discreet too as the top shirt covers up the top of my boob and the tank top keeps my belly covered.
    I agree. I wore nursing tanks a lot with both kids for the tummy and back coverage. I top them with regular shirts and just pull up the shirt and snap the tank down. More recently I've discovered the Kirkland camis (but no shelf bra on mine) and just unsnap the bra and stretch the top of the cami down. If you don't have a Costco you can find similar tanks elsewhere. I have some from other stores that seem similar. You just want a really stretchy neckline.

I also like Anita nursing bras once you get to a stable size. Bravado bodysilk is great for late pregnancy and postpartum too when your size is still changing a lot. Really comfy and decent shaping without an underwire.

MamaInMarch is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Talk to me about nursing clothes!

I agree about Anita nursing bras! The thing is they have to fit you for real, especially if you are going to attempt underwire (which I would only do past the 6 month mark personally).

I wear an H or I cupsize so no nursing tanks out there fit me. I have some super thin, stretchy camis that I wear over a regular nursing bra. Pull cup and top of cami down, shirt up. Easy and covered (personally could care less about someone seeing boob or nips, but do not want to expose my tummy or back). I also have some nursing tops that I love from Annee Matthews. They are nice when I don't want to layer or need a dressier look but still need access.

I also like Undercover Mama tanks.

Oh, and I have never owned any kind of nursing pajama. I wear tees and yoga pants to sleep in exclusively and just lift my shirt to nurse. At home I don't worry about exposing my chub.

Thank you Ladies! So I ended up picking up two nursing tanks from Target, have 2 daytime bras and 2 sleep bras. Once my supply stabilizes, I will definitely invest in better/ more supportive stuff!
    My sweet and curly haired DD 4
    ...and expecting someone new mid April 2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast