acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default American Girl Store visits

My DD is 5.5 and got her first big AG doll for Christmas (she got Emily, but also has the BB twins and a bitty baby). She is a huge doll lover. We are headed to DC in a few weeks and I am wondering if it would be worth a trip to the store. I will have some time on my own with the kids while DH is at meetings. But I have 2 questions...1) is there enough to do there besides buy stuff? 2) is it going to be really dull for my 3.5 DS? (he does like dolls somewhat and will play them with DD).

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD loved it at 6.5, really loved it. But IMO there really isn't much to do other than look at (and subsequently buy) the items. They have wonderful displays set up, but they know how to market their product and it is hard to not buy a lot. We put a "3 item" limit on that first visit and my DD abided by it. We also had lunch at the Cafe (last August) and she loved that (frankly I did too, the food was good and the whole outing was really fun). We went to the one in NYC this spring and I actually liked the one in Tysons more for some reason. I always see a few DSs there but not many. And at that age, it may be hard honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    My DD loved it at 6.5, really loved it. But IMO there really isn't much to do other than look at (and subsequently buy) the items. They have wonderful displays set up, but they know how to market their product and it is hard to not buy a lot. We put a "3 item" limit on that first visit and my DD abided by it. We also had lunch at the Cafe (last August) and she loved that (frankly I did too, the food was good and the whole outing was really fun). We went to the one in NYC this spring and I actually liked the one in Tysons more for some reason. I always see a few DSs there but not many. And at that age, it may be hard honestly.
    We just went to the Tyson's Corner American Girl a few weeks ago. I agree with all of this, but would say the food is overpriced and mediocre (at least at "brunch") but dd loved it. They have what looked to be a cute ice cream counter. The DC location, while crowded, is nowhere near as bad as NYC, and everyone who worked there was really nice.

This is a timely thread for me. Thanks, OP for starting it.

I am also interested in possible other things to do at an American Girl store. I was thinking of taking my DDs to one in the Boston area (Framingham, I think?) for brunch... is there anything at all to do? And (I hope this isn't hijacking the thread, OP!) does anyone know if the Framingham one is OK?

This is an aside, but I find the one in NYC too crowded and way too expensive - the restaurant prices there are about 40% more than the ones in other American Girl Stores, I think!

Default American Girl Store visits

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadiso View Post
    This is a timely thread for me. Thanks, OP for starting it.

I am also interested in possible other things to do at an American Girl store. I was thinking of taking my DDs to one in the Boston area (Framingham, I think?) for brunch... is there anything at all to do? And (I hope this isn't hijacking the thread, OP!) does anyone know if the Framingham one is OK?

This is an aside, but I find the one in NYC too crowded and way too expensive - the restaurant prices there are about 40% more than the ones in other American Girl Stores, I think!
    It's attached to the Natick Mall, there's really not anything to do but shop, and go the Cafe.
    DDs could still spend hours there looking at everything though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by maybeebaby08; 03-24-2014 at 05:56 AM.
    DD1- 5/2008
    DD2- 3/2012
    Expecting a Boy July 2014!

I actually went , w/o DD 2 fridays ago to the DC store. I live north of baltimore, so it's a trek, and with DD in school now (and never getting any vacation because of snow days) i decided just to go myself-- i'm the doll person in our family anyway. If i go with DD we eat at the cafe- it's a fun experience. we both bring and doll and we all sit and eat our food. i usually get a salad and I know there are plenty of choices my child will like. they also serve alcohol, if you are so inclined

i think there is plenty to do at the store, but -- it's a store- so it's really tempting the kids into the gimmees. even my child who "isn't into dolls" finds things to buy. she always can be tempted out of the store though by a promise to go to the lego store we don't have one anywhere near us, so that, and pottery barn kids, are novelties to us.

I agree with everyone that the DC store is WAY more laid back than NYC store. i remember meeting doll friends at the NYC store and there is simply no 'relaxing' or "hanging out"-- there is nowhere to sit by the cafe, and the cafe is "time limited" (they have certain seatings, and they only last a certain amount of time). this was a huge pain for us because were all from scattered places and it was a meet up and we simply couldn't enjoy each other's company cause we had to quick eat and get out. the NYC store has nowhere to sit , and even if it did, it's crowded so someone else would be sitting there in DC there are some seats to relax AND they are usually available (could be a function of the times i go, but it's always been the case, even at christmastime)

since i went by myself last week, i ate at le pain quotidienne--not cheap, but SO good. it's by bloomingdales (you can get to it through bloomies, actually). i had a fabulous salmon & roasted beet salad w/ chevre dressing and....belgian hot chocolate i was by myself and didn't have to be a good example so i splurged!

i also got a bit of the gimmees at the store i went for Kit's chocolate bunny set (i'm an easter fanatic) and ended up with BOTH easter sets. i can't remember AG doing an easter set in the past, so i jumped i also got my "not a doll lover" a bathing suit set for bitty. it was a special- sometimes they run little in store promotions that are good they'll also match online sale prices if you print them up (they told me this a while back, you probably could also just show it to them on your cell, but i'm not 100% on this anymore)

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Seitvonzu View Post
    i think there is plenty to do at the store, but -- it's a store- so it's really tempting the kids into the gimmees. even my child who "isn't into dolls" finds things to buy. she always can be tempted out of the store though by a promise to go to the lego store we don't have one anywhere near us, so that, and pottery barn kids, are novelties to us.
    Thanks for all the info! I'm sort of debating between going to the AG store in DC on this trip or to the NYC one this summer when we go there. Sounds like the DC store might be a better choice! Is that Lego store close?? That might be a good option for my DS - he is just getting into Legos and that way they could each have a fun place to stop (although DD would probably like the lego store a lot too!).

We just went to the one at the Natick Mall for DD's birthday. I prepped her for WEEKS that we were only buying Isabelle and nothing else! It is a very overwhelming store. We also ate at the Bistro. It was really cute. We took my aunt and everyone had a really nice time. The food was expensive but not too too expensive for what we were expecting and was pretty good. They were very good with gluten free options too. We bought Isabelle (and brought a doll we named after my sister) and both "sat" at the table in little chairs and Isabelle got her own cup and saucer...I'd say if you're going to go though, definitely go at an off time. We got there at 2:00 pm and it was still very crowded (it was a Saturday). By the time we left, it was much much emptier. It took about 1 1/2 hours for eating. There had been a 2 hour wait for doll hairstyling (?) but by the time we wanted to get Isabelle's ears pierced it was immediate. FWIW, I think we only saw one boy in the whole store though. I do think your DS will be quite bored.
    Debbie

in dc, the AG store is in a mall- so the lego store is also in the mall. i guess "close" is relative. to me, an adult, it seems "close" but then i was shopping as i walked around....pottery barn and bloomies are VERY close. so the lego store probably isn't