Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Thinking of trying cloth diapering with #3 - am I crazy.

I researched this before #2 arrived but I got overwhelmed and didn't do it. My kids have sensitive bums and I think they would benefit. However, the choices are totally overwhelming and I'm intimidated by the amount of work. Is there a cloth diapering for dummies/lazy moms? I work pt from home but own my business so there will be little downtime for maternity leave. I need something with a short learning curve in order to get me, dh, and our nanny on board.

Please help!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I cloth diapered for a few years and it wasn't too bad after the initial investment/learning curve. I liked Fuzzibunz pocket diapers the best. Bum Genius and Best Bottoms also worked fine. I think it's easiest to use disposables for the really tiny stage when you're changing an insane number of diapers and then transition to cloth when baby is closer to 9 or 10 lbs. I did newborn prefolds with my second but it was a lot of laundry and they didn't fit as well under some of the tiny clothing.

I think we transitioned to the pockets around a month or two. I had maybe 13 diapers and washed every other day. I stored dirty diapers in a wet bag and washed that too. The wash cycles can take awhile with a front loader but it's mostly hands off time. I used Rockin Green detergent and air dried the covers and often the inserts on a drying rack, or outside in good weather.

Some of the cloth diapers stores have trial programs like Nicki's and Jillian drawers so that would be a way to try it. .

I was overwhelmed with the choices too. I started when DD1 was 2 and I'll be on #3 this summer. I use Flips, it's basically a diaper cover with a giant maxi pad insert on the inside. You switch out the insert at changes unless the cover gets poop or is too wet. So I usually use 2 covers a day and then however many diaper changes you for inserts. I use Bumgenius Freetimes at night because it'll last 12 hours. I started at 1 month with DD2 bc it was too much too worry about washing with a newborn. The Flips are a lower cost investment to start and a I think a good way to see if you like it. I didn't what to spend hundreds to start with all in ones and I didn't want to stuff diapers either, the Flips seemed like an easy transition from disposables. Once you get in the groove it's not so bad and it's so nice to save the money. Do you have a cloth diaper store near you? It's a lot easier to see things in person and make a decision and usually the employees are really helpful.
    DD1- 5/2008
    DD2- 3/2012
    Expecting a Boy July 2014!

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I really like my Alvas this time (baby #3 also.) they are like $5 each so a much lower initial investment. They are a one size pocket diaper and started to fit around 10 pounds. My hubby will use them sometimes but he prefers disposables, so we end up using a mix.
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We use bum genius pockets. Im on baby #4 and still going strong. I think i have 18 or maybe 24. I wash every 2 to 3 days. I love all the money ive saved and its not hard to get used to. I like snaps better then aplix.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

I'll admit I took the truly "lazy" way out with this one... We bought some covers and some pre-folds from the local diapering service, and, after a few months of them doing the laundry, we decided we could do it just as well, and away we went! I think we also may have bought a few covers on Craigslist, but most of them were just the basic wraps. We also did just a dry pail. (Am I supposed to hand in my BBB card admitting all this?)

I wasn't into having to stuff pockets. And all there was to pre-folds was folding them in thirds, so it was easy for daycare and babysitters to figure out once we showed them. I know others do fancy folding with their pre-folds, but I didn't. (Okay, I'll admit I tried once or twice, but never became proficient). I didn't want to buy a fancy "system" of diapers either...
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post
    I'll admit I took the truly "lazy" way out with this one... We bought some covers and some pre-folds from the local diapering service, and, after a few months of them doing the laundry, we decided we could do it just as well, and away we went! I think we also may have bought a few covers on Craigslist, but most of them were just the basic wraps. We also did just a dry pail. (Am I supposed to hand in my BBB card admitting all this?)

I wasn't into having to stuff pockets. And all there was to pre-folds was folding them in thirds, so it was easy for daycare and babysitters to figure out once we showed them. I know others do fancy folding with their pre-folds, but I didn't. (Okay, I'll admit I tried once or twice, but never became proficient). I didn't want to buy a fancy "system" of diapers either...
    I wouldn't call prefolds lazy! I have some but can't seem to get them on once baby is wiggly!
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

so are the bum genius all in ones, or pockets? if they are pockets, how hard are they to stuff?
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

I love tots bots and blueberry simplex/econappi all in ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    so are the bum genius all in ones, or pockets? if they are pockets, how hard are they to stuff?
    They have both styles. They're not hard to stuff, it's just an extra step and I personally hate pulling out a wet/dirty insert from a pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD1- 5/2008
    DD2- 3/2012
    Expecting a Boy July 2014!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast