Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I actually use meditations to fall asleep, since that has been a problem for me in the past couple of years!
    Yeah I do a meditative thing when I need to fall asleep (count to 100 and back down by ones, then by 3s, I've been doing it for over 20 years, it works well for me). I think I want to focus my non sleeping meditation on centering myself and being more mindful. I had to skip this morning since I had to take DS1 to a school admissions office visit. Might try this afternoon.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

AmyZ is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My 7 year old is starting to listen to sleep meditations at night. I found one for kids with meditation oasis podcasts, but I'd love other suggestions of free podcasts. Thanks!
    Our string quartet is complete

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Bumping this thread. I did the Oprah/Deepak 21 days and did pretty well. I think I only missed one or two. Unfortunately, I usually did them before bed and definitely fell asleep most times! Did anyone else do this one, what did you think?

Any suggestions for other good free meditation podcasts? There are so many out there.

Thanks!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Are any of these meditations free? I want to try!

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hi ladies, wonder if you are still doing meditation? I read a book a few days ago called something like "10% happier" by a guy named Dan Harris. I had heard him speak at a book and author dinner and he was an ABC reporter who kind of fell into meditation after trying a lot of other things to reduce stress. The book is excellent. I am going to try to start meditation and was going to find an app, and wondered if any of you use the mindfulness app? Or would recommend another one? thanks.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm glad this thread has been revived, because I, too, have been reading about the benefit of meditation in terms of stress reduction, so I've been trying it out. I downloaded the Headspace app, which was free, but i think the free content was limited to 10 days of guided meditation, then there are charges to access further content. So far, I have found it useful, because I really had no idea where to start. If any of you from upthread have had success, I would love to hear about it, especially any apps that you have used and liked or not liked.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Just got an email that the next Oprah/Deepak 3 week meditation session starts August 11. It's called Expanding Your Happiness and you can register here:

www.chopracentermeditation.com

Oprah is a little annoying, but she only gives an intro each day. I kind of like Deepak. Especially when he says, "I'll mind the time." I don't know why!

Here's the blurb from the site.

Are you ready for a big boost of joy? Join Oprah & Deepak to tap into the inner wellspring of happiness that awaits you. In this perfect summertime journey, Oprah & Deepak help you spark the bliss, profound peace, and playful exhilaration that is within you.

Join us on August 11, in the all-new Oprah & Deepak 21-Day Meditation Experience, Expanding Your Happiness. It’s easy. It’s free. It’s 3-weeks that will invigorate your life! Register now and invite those you love to be happy with you!

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've been meditating at least twice a week for 2 months now. I find myself looking forward to it and feeling better, calmer and lighter at least immediately after.

Thanks for posting about the next Oprah/Deepak meditation experience. Can Iask what the first one was like for those who did it? How much time did you set aside each day?

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd View Post
    I've been meditating at least twice a week for 2 months now. I find myself looking forward to it and feeling better, calmer and lighter at least immediately after.

Thanks for posting about the next Oprah/Deepak meditation experience. Can Iask what the first one was like for those who did it? How much time did you set aside each day?
    Sorry I just saw this! The whole thing is around 20min/day. Oprah does a little intro about the topic, Deepak speaks more about things to focus on and the mantra, there's about 10ish min to meditation, then he talks about things to think about for the day.

It's free but you only have access to each day for 5 days. So if you fall too far behind, you might miss some (this happened to me a couple of times).

I am really going to try to do these during the morning instead of before bed.

There is a free one from a previous session you can listen to on front page of the site, to help get a feel for the whole thing.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I signed up for this!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast