Default Pants help for short and not in the best of shapes?

I've basically been living in the same two pair of jeans since I lost the pregnancy weight, and they're both starting to wear thin in enough places that it's time to give in and buy something new.

I love jeans. But I'd like to have something a bit more professional (somewhere between jeans and business casual? teacher casual?) for when I'm working as an accompanist in the school and working in my shop. Either place is fine with me wearing jeans, but I feel frumpy and want to step it up a notch or two. What would that even be? Knit pants with no pockets drive me crazy, and I'm definitely not a leggings and tunic kind of person. Plus I feel like I have a ridiculously hard time buying pants. I'm short (5' 1"), but petites don't usually work (I guess maybe the rise is too short?) and I'm heavy - like a size 18. Only, some size 18s are too big but the next size down doesn't even pull up over my thighs, and in other brands the 18s don't fit at all. I HATE pants shopping. :-/ (I'm willing and able to hem things if they work in all other respects.)

Where can I start looking? Keeping in mind that I have a rather limited budget and would ideally like something in the $40 or less per pair kind of range. (And yes, ideally I'd lose weight so I could find clothing that fit, but...I need something in the meantime.)

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got the best ponte knit pants at Macy's a few months ago. They have several styles to try on. They have slit pockets on the back and side, and a button and zipper so they look a little professional. They are the perfect weight, heavy enough to not show lumps & bumps, but not too heavy to be hot. They are extremely comfortable and very flattering. I got size 18 petite. I am losing weight so they are getting a tad big, and I'm going to go buy the next size down!
    Last edited by Gracemom; 03-24-2014 at 08:10 PM.

I like khakis. Lands end has a bunch of different styles in larger sizes and will hem them to your inseam. You can get them in darker colors like navy and black, and they look highly presentable and are comfortable.

If you carry weight in the abdomen and find that the side pockets bulge on trousers, you can get iron on seam tape to close the pockets up.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I've heard great things about the lands end starfish knits.
    I like Lucy's pants. Their XL short is very generous- would be 18 and 'plus' in most stores. But it's only $40 on sale.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    I got the best ponte knit pants at Macy's a few months ago. They have several styles to try on. They have slit pockets on the back and side, and a button and zipper so they look a little professional. They are the perfect weight, heavy enough to not show lumps & bumps, but not too heavy to be hot. They are extremely comfortable and very flattering.
    I couldn't find anything like these at Macy's - but I find the layout of my local store to be extremely confusing, so I may just have not found the right section. Do you know what brand they are?

I did go there today, and I found a pair of INC jeans that are super flattering, and a pair of JM Collection trousers which look a little more professional but will need to be shortened a good 6" or more. The INC jeans are a 16WP, but the other styles in that size were way too roomy throughout the seat (and the non womens' sizes were way too small), the JM are a 16. I tried on *so* many pairs, poor DS finally groused himself to sleep in the stroller!

I definitely would love some more suggestions, because I'd like to have another pair or two of pants that fit & flatter to rotate through.

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I like khakis. Lands end has a bunch of different styles in larger sizes and will hem them to your inseam. You can get them in darker colors like navy and black, and they look highly presentable and are comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I've heard great things about the lands end starfish knits.
    I like Lucy's pants. Their XL short is very generous- would be 18 and 'plus' in most stores. But it's only $40 on sale.
    I will try out Lands End next - they have a section in our Sears. I have never had success there with pants before, but I also haven't tried in many years, so I'll give them another chance!

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    I couldn't find anything like these at Macy's - but I find the layout of my local store to be extremely confusing, so I may just have not found the right section. Do you know what brand they are?

Thanks!
    Sarah
    They are INC brand. I looked for them on the website but they aren't there. Sorry!