Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Ergo performance?

Target has a good deal on Ergos this week, and I'm wondering if I should get the Ergo Performance to use with DD2. I currently have a ring sling (which I am liking), a basic AngelPak that I used occasionally with DD1 when she was younger, and a Scootababy (that I dislike and really should get rid of). I don't really need a carrier at the moment, but it's a good deal and I'm thinking the Ergo Performance might be nice since both DD2 and I run warm. WDYT?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I got one on the recommendation of a friend (who has several carriers including an original Ergo and said if she were doing it again she would get the performance one) and like it very much so far. However, DS is a month old so we've only used it a few times.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

IIRC, you said you're petite?

The Performance's padding is more streamlined, which makes it a decent choice for more petite mamas - they don't feel (or look!) overwhelmed by the straps of the Original.

As for it being "cooler," well, maybe. You're still talking about shared body heat and regardless of how a carrier breathes, you're still going to find that a bit sweaty.

My other caveat is if your DD2 isn't big enough to fit into the carrier without the insert - my DD wasn't until almost 5 months old - you'll need an insert or something to boost her up so she's visible & kissable. I hated the Ergo infant insert - found it way too bulky and it sat weird on my torso - so I ended up just using a wrap 'til my DD grew.

It's a great carrier and has a long life, but I don't know if I'd buy it just to have it, especially since you have an AngelPak, KWIM?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    IIRC, you said you're petite?

The Performance's padding is more streamlined, which makes it a decent choice for more petite mamas - they don't feel (or look!) overwhelmed by the straps of the Original.

As for it being "cooler," well, maybe. You're still talking about shared body heat and regardless of how a carrier breathes, you're still going to find that a bit sweaty.

My other caveat is if your DD2 isn't big enough to fit into the carrier without the insert - my DD wasn't until almost 5 months old - you'll need an insert or something to boost her up so she's visible & kissable. I hated the Ergo infant insert - found it way too bulky and it sat weird on my torso - so I ended up just using a wrap 'til my DD grew.

It's a great carrier and has a long life, but I don't know if I'd buy it just to have it, especially since you have an AngelPak, KWIM?
    Thanks Lizzie, that's helpful. Yes, you remembered correctly, I am petite. I've tried the regular Ergo before (albeit without a child in it) and it was too bulky for me, just as you mentioned. Good point about the insert, I didn't think about that. Hm. Maybe I should buy it and put it away for a few months and then see, since Target has a 90-day return policy. I'm hoping to be able to stack coupons to get it for ~$95 plus an additional $20 Target GC back with the purchase...so it would be a great deal.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Just curious, which infant insert did you use? The Heart2Heart or the other one?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    Thanks Lizzie, that's helpful. Yes, you remembered correctly, I am petite.
    Just saw this and wanted to add that I am 5'3" and around 110-115 and was concerned about the size/bulk but have not had any problems with it. Not sure how good it would be if you were much shorter. I have the Ergo performance infant insert which we will be using for while! DS falls asleep well in the carrier which I love right now. Got them both on NBD, but I think the Target price after gift card would be even better.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Thanks Lizzie, that's helpful. Yes, you remembered correctly, I am petite. I've tried the regular Ergo before (albeit without a child in it) and it was too bulky for me, just as you mentioned. Good point about the insert, I didn't think about that. Hm. Maybe I should buy it and put it away for a few months and then see, since Target has a 90-day return policy. I'm hoping to be able to stack coupons to get it for ~$95 plus an additional $20 Target GC back with the purchase...so it would be a great deal.
    Which coupons can be stacked for the ergo?
    DS 5/09

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just curious, which infant insert did you use? The Heart2Heart or the other one?
    This one; I think it had just come out at the time I registered:

http://www.diapers.com/p/ergobaby-or...a_kw={keyword}

It's roughly the same shape as a burrito in use ... and about as bulky.

I have a shorter torso, despite being tall, so it boosted DD up past my chin. I really was NOT comfortable - DD was 19" at birth, so even with her positioned correctly with her bum on the pillow & legs spread or froggied, she really felt too long for my torso to handle.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by 1mom2dylan View Post
    Which coupons can be stacked for the ergo?
    I stacked a 20% off one baby item with a $20 off a baby purchase of $100 or more. Although I could have sworn the $20 off was $20 off, but I got a $20 gift card instead. Of course, I can't check because I already used the coupon. A bit annoyed about that. But I'm at target so often anyway, the GC will get used.

Plus I got a $15 GC with the purchase of the carrier so I think it worked out this way (I don't have the receipt with me right now):
    Carrier price $139.99
    -$28 (20%)
    -$15 GC received
    -$20 GC received
    =76.99 + tax "final" price

The receipt is in my car, so I can double check that later.

Also, Target.com lists a $20 GC with the prucase of the Ergo performance, but the sign on the shelf in-store said $15. You could probably argue with CS to get the additional $5 if you buy in store (I didn't realize this $5 difference until now).

I am thinking of giving this as a gift to a coworker who recently had a baby. My concern is that they registered for a Bjorn, but I know from experience that the ergo would be so much better. I'm not sure if I should get this ergo (the stacking coupons would make it a great deal) along with a gift receipt or just give them a gift card. They are first time parents, so I don't think they have experience with carriers. I had the regular ergo and loved it and from the reviews it seems this performance one is even better. What do you all think?
    DS 5/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast